Can't get IAX to work

Get help with installing, upgrading and running Asterisk.

Moderators: muppetmaster, Moderator, Support

Can't get IAX to work

Postby csullivan » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:04 pm

I just rebuilt my Raspberry Pi asterisk server with Raspbian Jessie, Asterisk 13.6 and bcg729 all built from source. It is very similar to the previous system I was running until last Sunday although for reasons I don't want to revisit I don't have all the settings I had then. I am using the same network (home network with router to DSL with static IP) as before when everything worked fine.

I have 3 SIP phones on the home network plus a SIP ATA and they all talk to each other fine through asterisk. I have a voip provider who supports IAX and asterisk registers with it and the provider's web site acknowledges that I am registered.

mordor*CLI> iax2 show registry
Host dnsmgr Username Perceived Refresh State N 000000 60 Registered
1 IAX2 registrations.

When I try to place a call, however, it fails with max retries exceeded. I can see with tcpdump that messages (not many, just a send and a response, repeated several times) are passing back and forth on port 4569. I can't even make a call to the digium pbx with the simplest possible path through my dial plan.

I'm getting that "stuck" feeling and hope that someone might have a clue about what's going on. Here's the dial to my voip provider

-- Executing [start@Dialer:1] NoOp("SIP/000BBE1CEBCC-00000003", "Placing Call") in new stack
-- Executing [start@Dialer:2] GotoIf("SIP/000BBE1CEBCC-00000003", "1?:originate,1") in new stack
-- Executing [start@Dialer:3] Dial("SIP/000BBE1CEBCC-00000003", "IAX2/000000:Password@voipms/16475552368") in new stack
-- Called IAX2/000000:Password@voipms/16475552368
[Oct 27 19:38:08] WARNING[4752]: chan_iax2.c:3571 __attempt_transmit: Max retries exceeded to host on IAX2/voipms-26528 (type = 6, subclass = 1, ts=7, seqno=0)

Could it be something different between v11.something I was running before and v13.6?

If I call my number from the voip provider I see an incoming message but nothing on the asterisk console. Not even with IAX2 debug on.

Just in case you're wondering, I have the firewall off. My router also maps port 4569 to my asterisk system.

root@mordor:/etc/asterisk# iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Thanks for your help,

Return to Asterisk Support