[rslvd] AsteriskNow install not retaining cfg thru GUI (upd)

Get help with installing and running AsteriskNOW.

Moderators: Moderator, Support

[rslvd] AsteriskNow install not retaining cfg thru GUI (upd)

Postby olsjohnluke » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:03 pm

Installed AsteriskNow Beta 2. I add users thru the GUI, and the GUI retains all the user info (whereas Beta1 didn't...), but I see no mention of them in voicemail.conf or sip.conf when I grep for them, nor can any phones connect - presumably because there's not enough user acct information in the server, as it needs something like:

[polycom]
type=friend
context=from-sip
secret=blahpoly
host=dynamic
dtmfmode=rfc2833
username=polly
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
progressinband=no

But when I try and add this manually to sip.conf (like other tutorials indicate to do), nano reports that it can't write to the file (I figure this is because asterisk is open and has the file locked). So I'm looking for a bit of help - What am I doing wrong here? What should I do instead?

Eagerly anticipate your help! Thanks -

John

You can ignore everything below - the scenario's changed now.

Hi -

Setting up an asterisknow box for my company for deployment. My boss did the install (pretty point and click from what I heard), and I'm doing the cfg. I get onto the admin page, set up the users, and get everything tweaked just so. I can log out and back in and see the configuration updates (new users/extensions, etc), but when I restart, it's like it's a fresh install - no users, no voicemail options, no menu options, etc. I checked the conf files (voicemail.conf and sip.conf) and after I set up the users through the GUI, there's no mention of them anywhere in those two conf files. I'm about to attempt adding the users manually to the conf files, seeing what happens, but for production deployments, obviously the GUI is a much more preferred method. Is this just me and my install, or a bug in the software, or is there a config option that got missed? Would appreciate any insight.

Rgds,
John

Update: The gui retains the config, but I can't find any the details in the 3 config files, nor can my phones connect. It also looks like we were running the beta1; I'm updating right now.

Last edited by olsjohnluke on Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
olsjohnluke
Newsterisk

Re: [help] AsteriskNow install not retaining cfg thru GUI (u

Postby mbrooks » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:57 pm

olsjohnluke wrote:Installed AsteriskNow Beta 2. I add users thru the GUI, and the GUI retains all the user info (whereas Beta1 didn't...), but I see no mention of them in voicemail.conf or sip.conf when I grep for them, nor can any phones connect - presumably because there's not enough user acct information in the server, as it needs something like:

[polycom]
type=friend
context=from-sip
secret=blahpoly
host=dynamic
dtmfmode=rfc2833
username=polly
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
progressinband=no

But when I try and add this manually to sip.conf (like other tutorials indicate to do), nano reports that it can't write to the file (I figure this is because asterisk is open and has the file locked). So I'm looking for a bit of help - What am I doing wrong here? What should I do instead?

Eagerly anticipate your help! Thanks -

John

Sounds like you're not root! Try doing a "sudo nano /etc/asterisk/users.conf" or another config file and see if you can save the file.

Matt Brooks
Digium, Inc.
mbrooks
Oldsterisk

Postby dynaguy » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:43 am

I got the same problem. I can do "sudo ...." with admin's password. But I can's login as "root". (root account for rPath only?)

Also, I have to use "sudo asterisk -r" to get in CLI even I am the "admin". Why can't admin act like root or superuser? If it's designed this way, then why call the user "admin"? Obviously, the "admin" just can't admin.
dynaguy
Oldsterisk

Postby dynaguy » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:04 am

The setting I did in GUI web interface does not reflected in sip.conf. I edited sip.conf manually and it works. ( It may saved in the database and it can retrieve the config info to show on the web interface, is this correct?)

My question: Is there a switch in somewhere I need turn it on so the admin can do his job through the web GUI as it suppose to.
dynaguy
Oldsterisk

Postby hohenzolern » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:52 am

When you save a new user in the gui it is not saved in sip.conf. It is saved in users.conf. Check that directory and I'll bet you find your entries from the gui.
hohenzolern
Oldsterisk

Postby olsjohnluke » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:19 am

rquick wrote:When you save a new user in the gui it is not saved in sip.conf. It is saved in users.conf. Check that directory and I'll bet you find your entries from the gui.

Yep - sure enough, there it is. I'm confused about why the gui isn't writing to sip.conf or voicemail.conf though - doesn't asteriskNow still use those files for the configs? Without sip.conf being filled in, aren't my phones unable to connect to the server? (nub questions only asked for absolute clarification).

Next question then - I can't log in as root, it doesn't take the password. I'm figuring I need to do a password recovery on the server as I've read about in other instances, unless you know of a quicker way!

Thanks!

John

Update, for anyone who needs it.

"The easiest way I have found to get root access is from the AsteriskNOW console Menu. Select the second option "console", then press Alt-F9 to get to the *CLI> prompt. From there type ! and hit enter. Voila, root access.

Now you can change passwords, modify .conf files, format the drive, whatever."

Pulled from http://forums.digium.com/viewtopic.php? ... 7660dee6d7
Last edited by olsjohnluke on Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
olsjohnluke
Newsterisk

Postby hohenzolern » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:24 am

I don't know the specifics but adding users in the users.conf works just as well as adding them to sip.conf aor iax.conf. I kinda like it.

You can use the ISO and go into rescue mode to change the root password(I wish they would just give it to us to change manually). Be careful I changed the root password on my last install and my update script stopped working. Any one know if that was a glitch?
hohenzolern
Oldsterisk

Postby mbrooks » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:22 pm

DynaGuy wrote:The setting I did in GUI web interface does not reflected in sip.conf. I edited sip.conf manually and it works. ( It may saved in the database and it can retrieve the config info to show on the web interface, is this correct?)

My question: Is there a switch in somewhere I need turn it on so the admin can do his job through the web GUI as it suppose to.

if you edit sip.conf manually, those setting with appear in the advanced gui. You can get to that by changing the url from 'cfgbasic.html' to 'cfgadvanced.html', i believe. If you want changes to appear in the basic gui, you need to edit the users.conf. Users.conf lets you add one user and associate them with multiple technologies, iax, sip, jabber, etc. Personally I prefer users.conf over the others, it keeps everything in one place.

Matt Brooks
Digium, Inc.
mbrooks
Oldsterisk

Postby olsjohnluke » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:35 pm

Thank you!
olsjohnluke
Newsterisk

Return to AsteriskNOW Support