AsteriskNOW - Install Problem, blinking cursur after reboot

Get help with installing and running AsteriskNOW.

Moderators: Moderator, Support

Postby web-keeper-666 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:33 pm

I have a NetServer LH4 that I am trying to install this AsteriskNOW on.

The install goes great,
it finds the "megaraid" controller and completes the install just fine. :)

At the last screen where it states "please remove any media....." and REBOOT, I remove the CD, and hit enter to reboot. The LH4 reboots and completes the post operations, and the cursur starts blinking in the top left corner as if it is about to start linux... but thats as far as it gets, its almost like it is having a hard time finding the OS. It seems to act like there is an OS but it just can't find it. :?

I am getting a little desparate now as I have to have this project up and running asap.

All help appreciated :(

Previous Post...
http://forums.digium.com/viewtopic.php?t=12432&sid=b4840af309fd9b8f74641f66aba29f1b
web-keeper-666
Newsterisk

Re: AsteriskNOW - Install Problem, blinking cursur after reb

Postby mbrooks » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:04 am

web-keeper-666 wrote:I have a NetServer LH4 that I am trying to install this AsteriskNOW on.

The install goes great,
it finds the "megaraid" controller and completes the install just fine. :)

At the last screen where it states "please remove any media....." and REBOOT, I remove the CD, and hit enter to reboot. The LH4 reboots and completes the post operations, and the cursur starts blinking in the top left corner as if it is about to start linux... but thats as far as it gets, its almost like it is having a hard time finding the OS. It seems to act like there is an OS but it just can't find it. :?

I am getting a little desparate now as I have to have this project up and running asap.

All help appreciated :(

Previous Post...
http://forums.digium.com/viewtopic.php?t=12432&sid=b4840af309fd9b8f74641f66aba29f1b

Have you tried to install AsteriskNOW non-raid? It might be possible that the raid controller has some conflict with linux and may not be compatible. I would throw in a cheap old IDE drive and see if it will install and boot. If it boots in this setup you will know the raid controller is the culprit.

Matt Brooks
Digium, Inc.
mbrooks
Oldsterisk

Postby web-keeper-666 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:43 am

Thanks Matt, I have solved the problem, I had to blow the raid config from the bios, and recreate it.

Also, what is the root/password equivelant...?

In trying to understand this build, its made with rPath, which is Debian, is this correct ?

or maybe I should ask.. how do I add other packages..? like Webmin, etc..?

I am totally stumped.

Thanks Jon.
web-keeper-666
Newsterisk

Re: AsteriskNOW - Install Problem, blinking cursur after reb

Postby mbrooks » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:28 am

web-keeper-666 wrote:Thanks Matt, I have solved the problem, I had to blow the raid config from the bios, and recreate it.

Also, what is the root/password equivelant...?

In trying to understand this build, its made with rPath, which is Debian, is this correct ?

or maybe I should ask.. how do I add other packages..? like Webmin, etc..?

I am totally stumped.

Thanks Jon.

No, rPath is it's own distribution. It is loosely based off RedHat, however there is no yum. Instead of apt-get or yum it has conary. Conary and rBuilder are two technologies you're going to want to know more about to install separate packages.

You can find more about conary here: http://wiki.rpath.com/wiki/Conary
You can find rbuilder here: http://www.rpath.com/rbuilder/

Hope that helps!

Matt Brooks
Digium, Inc.
mbrooks
Oldsterisk

Postby web-keeper-666 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:05 am

Thanks for that Matt, wow, that conary stuff all sounds a bit to serious for me... :?

I dont suppose I could use AsteriskNow with Fedora or something.?

Before you suggest CentOS..! my Netserver LH4 (its the megaraid driver), is no longer supported with v4.x thats why I am looking for an alternative solution..!

The options I know the LH4 will load are, Redhat 7-9, Fedora, Ubunta, Debian, Centos v3.8. I know a bit of a bummer..?

All suggestions welcome.

Happy New Year,
Regards Jon.
web-keeper-666
Newsterisk

Return to AsteriskNOW Support