Voicemail Jolty

Get help with installing and running AsteriskNOW.

Moderators: Moderator, Support

Voicemail Jolty

Postby Zhariak » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:00 pm

Hey guys,

grabbed both the 32-bit and 64-bit ISOz and installed onto VMs...
Testing it with a linksys PAP2 and a softphone on my pocketPC, whenever dialing the defailt voicemail number (8500) the voice prompt is very slow and jotly.... You cannot even understand what the voice is saying.

Just curious howto fix, or if this is a known issue...

This is on a dual core 64-bit AMD box... I have 512MB allocated to both 32-bit vm and the 64-bit VM... Proccessing power isn't a issue as the host OS has 4 gigs of ram, and the load of everything is minimal.

Thanks

Stephen
Zhariak
Newsterisk

Re: Voicemail Jolty

Postby mbrooks » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:00 pm

Zhariak wrote:Hey guys,

Testing it with a linksys PAP2 and a softphone on my pocketPC, whenever dialing the defailt voicemail number (8500) the voice prompt is very slow and jotly.... You cannot even understand what the voice is saying.

This is on a dual core 64-bit AMD box... I have 512MB allocated to both 32-bit vm and the 64-bit VM... Proccessing power isn't a issue as the host OS has 4 gigs of ram, and the load of everything is minimal.

Thanks

Stephen

Add more memory, or more specifically install the sound files for the codec you are using. This will cut down on the transcoding, which is cpu and memory intensive. You can find the sound files here:

Code: Select all
ftp://ftp.digium.com/pub/telephony/sounds

Matt Brooks
Digium, Inc.
mbrooks
Oldsterisk

Postby bkruse » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:04 am

Good idea matt.

I might also suggest not running VMware to run an actual pbx.

Thats a couple "iffy" layers you have to go through......

good luck either way, but backup your box, and try to just install asterisk now, with that machine, youll be quite impressed.

:]

-bkruse
bkruse
Site Admin

Re: Voicemail Jolty

Postby jozwikjp » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:36 pm

mbrooks wrote:
Zhariak wrote:Hey guys,

Thanks

Stephen

Is there instructions on how to add more default sounds for your codec..
I downloaded the g.729 codec however I am not sure what I need to do to get them to be used..

Thanks
Joe

Add more memory, or more specifically install the sound files for the codec you are using. This will cut down on the transcoding, which is cpu and memory intensive. You can find the sound files here:

Code: Select all
ftp://ftp.digium.com/pub/telephony/sounds

Matt Brooks
Digium, Inc.
jozwikjp
Newsterisk

Postby aaelghat » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:24 pm

In a similar vein, is there a way to save a users "unavailable greeting" in the most efficient format for the codec to reduce transcoding? In my case I'm using ulaw, and my users exclusively use their unavailable greeting. Since their are new users all the time, and people re-record their message, the ideal process would record the message in the right format the first time, or allow me to convert the file after it's saved.
aaelghat
Newsterisk

Postby toddc76 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:10 am

I am also having a studdering voicemail problem. This is the only place I have seen it happening so far but is it really a big problem before I can deploy to our test group. I have tried changing codec's also and that does seem to make any difference.

This ia new Trixbox 2.0 fresh install on an Intel Pentium D server with 2g ram and 60g drive. We are connected to Voipstreet.com via IAX2 and my endpoint is a Cicso 7940 with the P0S3-08-6-00 firmware (using SIP). The endpoint is connected in the same physical network as the server and they are about 65' away and are wired with cat6 gigE cable and switches.

Voice Quality for calls is perfect, it is just voicemail that is giving me a problem.

-ToddC
toddc76
Newsterisk

Postby jturner » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:03 pm

try instituting Qos with Type of service fields on your cisco router, if you haven't done so already. i dont remember exactly how to configure that, but if you have the cisco ccnp 1&2 book (which everyone should have) its in there, just look at the QoS chapter.

i imagine this issue is because of the coding/decoding of the files and the the retrieving of said files (takes processor time) have you tried using GSM? as the file format?
jturner
Newsterisk

Return to AsteriskNOW Support