How to manage packages on AsteriskNOW?

Get help with installing and running AsteriskNOW.

Moderators: Moderator, Support

How to manage packages on AsteriskNOW?

Postby Mark Dammer » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:39 am

As a Ubuntu/Debian user I am familiar with package managers that allow me to add, remove or update packages. And the most important: Let me see what is available in the repository.
How can this be done in AsteriskNOW? Is there a web based package manager available - I am missing an "Add/remove packages" tab in the Rpath Appliance Agent.

If there is no such thing, then please take this as a feature request.

Thanks, Mark
Mark Dammer
Newsterisk

Postby anil » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:29 am

There is no GUI panel to add / remove packages in this system.

You need to use command line commands to do those functions.

Have a read of the last pages of my guide at http://www.madikonda.com/downloads/asterisknow.pdf
anil
Newsterisk

Postby j4m3s » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:24 am

There is also a guide included on the CD, called QUICKSTART-CONARY.txt. This will give you a brief howto on conary (rPath linux's package manager). Essentially...

If you are a debian user, conary uses labels instead of apt sources. Check out /etc/conaryrc and you'll see your default installLabelPath which lists the repositories you're currently configured to look/install/update from. You can add repos to that list, but remember they are in order from left-to-right. Conary will search the leftmost label in your path first, then move on to the next one.

apt-get install <package> == conary update <trove>
apt-cache search <package_string> == conary rq <trove> (rq means repository query)
apt-get remove <package> == conary erase <trove> (erase is for packages and remove is for individual files)

Let me know if this is of any help to you.
j4m3s
Oldsterisk

Postby Mark Dammer » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:36 am

j4m3s wrote:There is also a guide included on the CD, called QUICKSTART-CONARY.txt. This will give you a brief howto on conary (rPath linux's package manager). Essentially...
Let me know if this is of any help to you.

Thanks for your help! Yes that helps.
And I am still wondering if there is an equivalent to "Synaptic" around. Would be great for AsteriskNOW to be able to manage the packages through a GUI as well.
Mark Dammer
Newsterisk

Postby j4m3s » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:15 pm

Thanks for the great suggestion!
j4m3s
Oldsterisk

Postby Mark Dammer » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:02 am

j4m3s wrote:Thanks for the great suggestion!

...specially as I see lots of conflicts between the three update management tools conary, the console menu and rPath:
I just installed mysql-server via conary, then ran the rPath System Update later. And that deinstalled the mysql again. Really annoying!
At another time I tried the "update" console menu and got broken dependency errors. Doing the update via rPath worked without problems.
I wonder if AsteriskNOW could not be based on a Debian distribution. A whole world of packages, repositories and tools would be available to manage the system.
Mark Dammer
Newsterisk

Postby anil » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:18 am

Mark Dammer wrote:I just installed mysql-server via conary, then ran the rPath System Update later. And that deinstalled the mysql again. Really annoying!

You can pin Mysql down, so that it will not be un-installed or updated.

Conary pin mysql-server
anil
Newsterisk

Postby j4m3s » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:19 pm

Mark Dammer wrote:
j4m3s wrote:Thanks for the great suggestion!

...specially as I see lots of conflicts between the three update management tools conary, the console menu and rPath:
I just installed mysql-server via conary, then ran the rPath System Update later. And that deinstalled the mysql again. Really annoying!
At another time I tried the "update" console menu and got broken dependency errors. Doing the update via rPath worked without problems.
I wonder if AsteriskNOW could not be based on a Debian distribution. A whole world of packages, repositories and tools would be available to manage the system.

The reason it uninstalls mysql-server when you use rAA to update your system is because it "migrates" your system to whatever is latest on the repo. This migration removes any additional runtime packages you have installed, like mysql-server in this case.

you can turn off this behavior by editing /etc/raa/prod.cfg

Code: Select all
# Set to False if you want to use updateall instead of migrate
updatetroves.migrate = True

to
Code: Select all
# Set to False if you want to use updateall instead of migrate
updatetroves.migrate = False

rPath is currently working on their metadata features and an all-inclusive command line search feature is one of the goals.
j4m3s
Oldsterisk

add package with conary

Postby sergavens » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:28 pm

I successfully managed to add a packet with conary, but couldn’t understand the only thing: how to install a packet which is not listed at rpath.org?
For example, prior to install free G729, I must have Intel IPP library. But there isn’t one at rpath.org.
I downloaded ipp from intel.com to a hard drive, but couldn’t install it with conary.
Is it possible to write a label in conaryrc to a local file or there is some way to do it?

Best regards
Serj
sergavens
Newsterisk

Return to AsteriskNOW Support