Newbie Questions Re AsterisksNOW

Get help with installing and running AsteriskNOW.

Moderators: Moderator, Support

Newbie Questions Re AsterisksNOW

Postby afact » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:46 am

I am new to Asterisk so please forgive me if my questions are in any way too basic.

I am looking to install *now, I just want to know if I can install it on my laptop which runs Windows XP and that I have all my work files and programs on without damaging or deleting any of my documents?

Is there a way of installing it to a section of the hard drive minimising any risks to existing files? I also have an external USB hard drive if this is useful in installation in any way.

Your assistance will be most appreciated.
afact
Newsterisk

Postby j4m3s » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:14 pm

You can try out the LiveCD on your laptop, as that will not alter your system.
j4m3s
Oldsterisk

Postby afact » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:45 pm

If I use the LiveCD, is it enough to run a fully functional mini PBX system? What's the main difference between LiveCD and the hard disk install?
afact
Newsterisk

Postby j4m3s » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:51 pm

Well a LiveCD is primarily used for evaluation purposes. Any kind of permanent, production install needs to be on a dedicated machine. For the purposes of a mini, temporary pbx, the LiveCD can be used. Although you may want to look into using VMware for a way to run *NOW within an insatllation of windows. Download vmplayer for windows www.vmware.com and download the VMware image for AsteriskNOW, and *double-click*
j4m3s
Oldsterisk

Return to AsteriskNOW Support