Linksys VOIP SPA941 configuration help

Get help with installing and running AsteriskNOW.

Moderators: Moderator, Support

Linksys VOIP SPA941 configuration help

Postby dmheyman » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:32 pm

Is there a "how to" document on how to configure the Linksys VOIP phone with Asterisk Now!?
dmheyman
Newsterisk

Postby cricalix » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:29 pm

The Linksys phones are based on the Sipura technology. I happen to have a SPA2000 ATA, so I'm guessing the interface will be similar.

Access the web interface to the phone.
Click on Ext 1 at the top.
Set the following:
Code: Select all
Line Enable: Yes
NAT Mapping: No
NAT keepalive: No
SIP Port: 5060
Proxy: <your *now IP or DNS name>
Register: Yes
Make call: No
Register Expires: 3600
Ans Call: No
Display Name: <your name>
User ID: <* configured user account>
Password: <* configured password>
Use Auth ID: No

Click the save button at the bottom, the phone will probably reboot.

You obviously need to configure a user/extension in *now first, such as 6000, and assign it a password. The password can be alpha-numeric, but those can be hard to enter for voicemail access.

Alter NAT as applicable. Set the outbound proxy to the same IP as the proxy if you want to route all traffic through *.
cricalix
Newsterisk

Postby dmheyman » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:32 pm

Thank you for your help. I went into the config and found the settings. It is now working.

What I find frustrating is a lack of clear "how to" documentation for products and set up. The manual for Asterisk now just provides screen captures for what I already see. If there is any one document you know of to help with A) VOIP phone setup, 2) Outbound/Inbound VOIP configuration, etc, I'd like to use it.

Thanks again.
dmheyman
Newsterisk

Postby cricalix » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:25 pm

As I understand it, *now is fairly new, so there's not that much in the way of documentation, other than the documentation for * itself. That said, the HTML UI certainly makes it a bit easier to configure. I don't know of any document like what you're looking for, though I am pondering contributing a section to the users guide that's stickied at the top of the forum. I just need to find a screen capture program for Win32 that's as nice as Ksnapshot in KDE!

Regarding inbound/outbound setup - if you've ever played with asterisk before, your register lines are the equivalent of the service provider setups.
cricalix
Newsterisk

Postby dmheyman » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:14 am

I was able to muddle through it, and with some support from a phone vendor, success was finally achieved. As with most things, the simple solution turned out to be the answer. I had tried to make the matter complicated, but was going down the wrong path.

Thanks again for responding.
dmheyman
Newsterisk

Postby cricalix » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:20 am

Might I suggest sending a screenshot (suitably elided) to the guy doing the User Guide so it can be stored as an appendix for that particular provider? :)
cricalix
Newsterisk

Return to AsteriskNOW Support