Calls route but phones don't ring (using a TDM800/FXS)

Get help with installing and running AsteriskNOW.

Moderators: Moderator, Support

Calls route but phones don't ring (using a TDM800/FXS)

Postby pete_r » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:18 pm

I'm new to Asterisk and have installed a system with AsteriskNOW beta5 and a TDM800 with fxo and fxs modules (I'm only using analog devices currently).

All is good except the phone extentions on the fxs modules do not ring when I call them. I know the call is routed to the ext. since it connects if I pick up the ext.

I have confirmed that the ringers are ON with the ringer volume up on the phones and that I have connected the power connector on the TDM card. However I don't have any further ideas on what to look for.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
pete_r
Newsterisk

Postby Sleeper » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:07 pm

When you pick up the ringing extion (answer the ringing extention), is the call indeed connected?
Sleeper
Newsterisk

Postby pete_r » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:31 am

Yes, if I call an extention, and pick it up (even though it does not ring) the call is connected. If I call an extension thats off hook the call goes directly to VM so the card detects the state of the phone.

Here's what I have ruled out:

- I didn't see or read about any hardware config (ie jumpers) on the TDM / fxs to set ringing so I don't think its a hardware config

- I have 2 fxs modules on the card and neither ring the phones (may be 2 bad fxs units but I don't think so since all works on the phone except the ringing).

- I don't think it's a software config (at least not a default setting for the phone not to ring).

- I have double checked the ringer is set on the phones and I've tried every standard phone I have.

So I'm left with the following:

- the problem is may be a power supply issue so I'll try changing it out.

- If that fails to work I think I'll try installing it on a different pc to see if it is a hardware conflict of some sort.

- I'll try to score a SIP phone to see if it will ring (since I assume it does not require the astrisk server to gerenate the ringing voltage)
pete_r
Newsterisk

Return to AsteriskNOW Support