Audio over the Ethernet

Get help with installing and running AsteriskNOW.

Moderators: Moderator, Support

Audio over the Ethernet

Postby lindstorm22_2 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:36 pm

Hello.
I understand that maybe my question is not relevant. It suits more for developers. But I need a help and maybe you can advise me something.
SoI just want to transmit a voice-quality audio stream from one PC(PC 1) to another(PC 2) over Ethernet. But I don't understand how PC2 can get this audio and playback it. As well as I don't understand how to transmit voice-quality audio from PC1.
I mean I have an application that sends data from PC1 to PC2 using UDP protocol. It sends text messages. But I need to send voice audio. I can't figure out how this audio should look like to be transmitted over the Ethernet.
What protocols should be used for this?
I have Asterisk open source code. I have found there RTP.c file for example. But I don't understand how to use it.
So I need application(maybe Asterisk) to receive, playback voice-quality audio stream. I need just to send simple simple voice-quality audio over the Ethernet and playback it on another computer.
Any help will be appreciated.
lindstorm22_2
Newsterisk

Re: Audio over the Ethernet

Postby david55 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:44 pm

This has nothing to do with AsteriskNOW

The specification for RTP can be found at https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1889.txt You need to understand its design philosophy as just sending audio over ethernet is exceedingly trivial and should be obvious. It is getting to work over an unreliable network that results in the design complexity.
david55
Moves Like Spencer

Return to AsteriskNOW Support