FXS modules not recognized

Get help with installing and running AsteriskNOW.

Moderators: Moderator, Support

FXS modules not recognized

Postby jayarr » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:41 am

Hi all

I'm having a tough time doing a migration and could really use some help.

I upgraded my server from pci based to pci-E based so I bought a new A4B card to replace my old TDM card.

I purchased the card brand new and it's genuine Asterisk.

All of the modules worked fine in the TDM card for years.

I put them in the A4B card and fire up the server with a fresh install of FreePBX and when it's all installed there is no recognition of the green FXS boards.

I run /etc/init.d/dahdi status and it replies that there is an FXO card in channel 1 but the other three are 'unknown'

I tried moving the red fxo card from channel to channel and it appeared on all four channels but it won't see the FXS modules in the same positions.

I put the green FXS modules back in the old server and they show up and work just fine.

I'm kind of stumped....

Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom? I thought new modules were supposed to be recognized on a reboot and just show up. I don't remember having to write config files the last two times I loaded FreePBX. (I'm using the Scmooz disto)
jayarr
Newsterisk

Re: FXS modules not recognized

Postby david55 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:05 am

If it is brand new and genuine Digium, you should be able to get commercial support.
david55
Moves Like Spencer

Postby jayarr » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:25 am

Thanks David but you didn't answer the question. :(

Maybe what it boils down to is, If I run /etc/sbin/dahdi_scan and known good modules are not detected. Does that indicate I have a bad A4B board?
jayarr
Newsterisk

Postby malcolmd » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:37 am

Howdy,

While David didn't provide the answer you seek, his advice to contact the hardware vendor is sound advice. We typically route queries specific to a card vendor's products back to that vendor, as the vendor's best-able to answer them.

Cheers
Malcolm Davenport
Digium, Inc. | Senior Product Manager
malcolmd
Moves Like Spencer

Postby jayarr » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:53 am

I guess I'm just used to seeing all the really smart people on the forum. :D

I bought it from an etailer that used a fulfilment service so I guess I'm screwed. I don't want to waste half a day on hold to a manufacturer.

Maybe this is fate telling me it's time to try a different company's card. LOL
jayarr
Newsterisk

Postby jayarr » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:06 pm

I just called Digium and I have to say it was NOT what I expected, I only waited about 15 minutes, the tech was smart, knew his stuff and spoke English perfectly. He told me I probably had a bad card and asked me to run a data collection script and send him the serial number and he'd see about getting a replacement.

I'm a very happy customer! I expected to be out $$ because I purchased from a third party vendor but Digium really stands by it gear!

I have always bought genuine Digium gear because it was built better, I like quality, I've never had to return an item and it's refreshing to see a company want to help instead of angling to find a technicality to refuse to help.

JayArr
jayarr
Newsterisk

Postby jayarr » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:42 pm

Solved!

Really old Digium FXS modules won't work in the new PCI-E cards.

They work in the older PCI cards (TDMXXXX) but not the newer A4B cards.

This is confirmed with Digium Tech support, they sent out a new A4B card and the problem persisted and finally after I sent a picture of the modules they tracked down the serial numbers confirmed that they were genuine Digium FXS modules but that they were so old they wouldn't work in the new architecture.

So the next time you catch yourself thinking that all FXS modules are the same think of this thread.

JayArr
jayarr
Newsterisk

Return to AsteriskNOW Support