AsteriskNOW system requirements?

General discussions about AsteriskNOW.

Moderators: Moderator, Support

AsteriskNOW system requirements?

Postby bcalder01 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:24 pm

Hi all,

I think I know the answer to this, but please forgive a newbie for asking.

I ultimately want to build PBX appliances for my SMB clients. I started with TrixBox, but it's way more than I (or my clients) need, but it was a good intro to Asterisk. I'm trying to find the time to learn AstLinux - I've got it running unconfigured on an old IBM NetVista thin client, which is great, but I'm already being pulled in 57 different directions. Learning of AN was a godsend - it's easy to set up and go, without the bloat of TB. For me, it's a nice "middle ground" between TB and AstLinux.

So my question is - are the system requirements for AN the same as for Asterisk in general? For a 5-10 seat business, could I run AN on a more modern thin client (with a hard drive, natch) with, say, a 700-1G processor & 256-512MB memory and expect decent performance?

What are other's experiences with using AN/PoundKey on lean systems?
bcalder01
Newsterisk

Postby j4m3s » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:00 pm

As with all asterisk implementations, you need to ask yourself a couple questions

1. How many concurrent phone calls?

2. VoIP or Analog Hardware?

Depending on your answers to those questions will determine if you're bottleneck will be bandwidth or hardware restraints. If less than 10 concurrent calls with IAX and gsm, you should be all right with the max specs you suggested.
j4m3s
Oldsterisk

Return to AsteriskNOW General