Simultaneous inbound calls

General discussions about AsteriskNOW.

Moderators: Moderator, Support

Simultaneous inbound calls

Postby wilsonbl72 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:46 am

I am wondering how many simultaneous inbound VoIP calls I can expect to handle per server, assuming the best case on the hardware. I am looking to do a large scale hosted voicemail system, and I want to be able to have a rough budget number for the quantity of servers I will need to get started, and at what point I will need to begin looking into adding a server.

Also, any suggestions or hints for this type of project would be much appreciated.
wilsonbl72
Newsterisk

Postby bkruse » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:00 pm

Hey!

I would suggest trying to learn a little more about Asterisk, as the Asterisk-gui is not exactly setup to be a shared hosted pbx interface.

The capabilities really depend. You can test this yourself with just two Asterisk boxes, however.

I would remember that since you are using voicemail, you are using high IO on the disk, so maybe even consider a ramdisk or very fast hard drives, along with good quality, large amounts of RAM and processing power.

Another one to remember is to (if possible) record the voicemail in the same codec as the incoming call, therefore you have to do no transcoding.

-bk
bkruse
Site Admin

Postby wilsonbl72 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:56 pm

Thanks for the input...

I have been doing a lot of reading since that post, learning as much as I can. The project has gone beyond what I have time to learn, so I am passing it off to a company to configure the boxes for me. I think we are going to use a SER front end, with a cluster of Asterisk servers. Do you have any experience with a solution like that?

Thanks again
wilsonbl72
Newsterisk

Postby bkruse » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:10 pm

I do, but none that I can easily relay through a message board in a couple of minutes :P

-bk
bkruse
Site Admin

Return to AsteriskNOW General