Beta with Old Interface

General discussions about AsteriskNOW.

Moderators: Moderator, Support

Beta with Old Interface

Postby lajjal » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:22 pm

It is mentioned in the beta release blog that the old interface is still there if wanted. How can I access the old interface?
Your old interface is simply the best around. The freepbx interface is one of the worst web interfaces I have ever seen on any software. It is just poorly and obtusely done from start to finish. Perhaps the programmer did a lot of LSD back in the 60's or something.
I have tried every Asterisk distro I could find,namely Elastix, Druid, Trixbox, AstLinux, and Xorcom. They are all bad. I could list problems with each but this is not the place for it. Your release, on the other hand, really delivers on the the 30 minute claim. Sure, you may have somewhat strange taste in colors and there are various odd web related behaviors such as the requirement for lowercase only letters in the mac addresses. I'm not saying it can't be improved and will provide detailed suggestions if asked but don't junk it for the freepbx one. That would be a disaster.
lajjal
Newsterisk

Postby chocho » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:19 pm

I'm not agree with you, but that is my opinion. :?

yum remove freepbx

yum install asterisk-gui
chocho
Newsterisk

Postby bkruse » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:59 am

HAHA

That was the best thing I have heard all day, thanks for that :)

You can yum remove the freepbx gui and install the older one :)

The colors _are_ bad, and so is the layout, but give us some suggestions :)

I can fix that mac address problem in like 2 seconds!

Thanks,

-bk
bkruse
Site Admin

Postby dtnu » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:09 am

I have spend a couple of days playing with freepbx 2.4. Boy, oh boy...

couldn't you just enhance AsteriskGUI???

I used to administer a PBX back in the early 90s and the AsteriskGUI uses very similar terminology. I really like that about it. With FreePbx there is the whole context this, context that, do I TYPE stuff on each of the gazillion boxes it has? And anything non standard has to be done in the _custom.conf files... manually.... C'mon!

I have been using AsteriskNOW for my installations mostly because of the GUI. I set the systems up and let the office admin deal with the day to day business of extensions/passwords/dial plan management.

With freepbx doing custom dialplans for extensions/extension groups is a pain in the neck (installing an unsopported module).

But if FreePBX is what asterisknow is going to use and AsteriskGUI is dropped off I'll probably start using other distributions like PIAF which has more addon's right out of the box (The not so great looking attendant console is a great attraction, visual voicemail, the freepbx system status dashlet, etc)
dtnu
Newsterisk

Postby bkruse » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:34 pm

No, the point is that each release it may change up a little bit, but we give you the option to use _any_ gui that you want.

yum remove freepbx

yum install asterisk-gui

-bk
bkruse
Site Admin

Postby dtnu » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:42 pm

OK. So asteriskgui is not going to be dropped off or feature frozen?

If so, is there a roadmap?
dtnu
Newsterisk

Postby bkruse » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:06 pm

No, definitely not. It's actually more actively developed that freepbx I would say :)

-bk
bkruse
Site Admin

Return to AsteriskNOW General