Using *now to create an internal home phone network

General discussions about AsteriskNOW.

Moderators: Moderator, Support

Using *now to create an internal home phone network

Postby Dirk7589 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:35 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am not sure if I have the right software for this, but I am interested in creating an internal telephone network. Specifically connecting several telephones to my * server, and having the ability to pick up one analogue phone and call the other. I do not know if this is possible, but if it is any information concerning what sort of hardware or configuration I would need would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much for all your help.

Sincerely,
Dirk
Dirk7589
Newsterisk

Analog phone???

Postby wrhowell » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:08 pm

Save your self a lot of money.

For each analog phone u need a fxs card assigned to it, meaning a hardwire run to each phone.

Do it with cat5 to each room and use either a computer softphone or analog converted VoIP phone, or regular VoIp phone.

or

Do it with WiFi to each computer softphone or VoIp phone.

Looks more impressive anyway and a lot less trouble.
wrhowell
Newsterisk

Postby Dirk7589 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:26 pm

Thank you for the reply it is much appreciated.

You see I am trying to hook up old analogue rotary and touch tone phones (i like the handsets) together on an internal network. If i am understanding you correctly the better way to do it would be by getting the small converter that turns the analogue copper line into a CAT 5 jack/voip protocol. My other question then is what do i need as far as my asterix box goes to hook all that up. I am just doing this for fun and i would like to keep costs to a minimum.

Thank you for your help

Dirk
Dirk7589
Newsterisk

Postby wrhowell » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:19 am

Any pentII, pentIII, should work (just stay away fro Compaq computers).

Look on Digium web site for your fxo-fxs cards that will take copper line phone into computer, or, better still since its a "play toy" check out e-bay, just type in digium on their search engine.
wrhowell
Newsterisk

Postby Dirk7589 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:44 pm

Well sadly the machine I am using is a Compaq. However, just recently I managed to get my new tower up and running so I am all ready to play with the old one. The cards I need to buy to hook into the tower, what slot do they take? Is it a PCI slot, because this of course limits how many i can fit in my tower. Also are you certain that it is possible to configure *Now to do what i want. Remember I am not trying to connect to anything outside the server. The point is to remain entirely self sufficient and internal. Also, can you give me a general price point for the FXO cards? Thank you for all your help.

Thanks,
Dirk
Dirk7589
Newsterisk

Postby wrhowell » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:37 pm

The reason I say don't use a Compaq is that they are problem makers when it ocme to setting up "unix like" software as you have to set the bios a lot of time for "other" type of OS and because of the way they have certain items load from bios linux at lot of times won't see it on boot. But give it a try, who knows yours may work ok.

Go here and check out this card, it will give you an idea of what to look for: http://www.digium.com/en/products/analog/tdm410.php. These as shown are four port cards, meaning it will take up to four incoming lines from telco, then you route one or all of them by way of dial plan to the sip extension within the house.

Good luck. Wish you well, learn a lot.
wrhowell
Newsterisk

Postby wrhowell » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:43 pm

Also, forgot, most new cards are pci, 3volt & 5 volt. Search on this site or the net for how to tell the difference between them. It is the way the pci slot is mounted on the mother board. Yours should be 5Volt as most of the older compaq machine were.

Look on e-bay or the net you may find so older cards that are ISA mounts. If you only have one line coming in then you will need one fxo/fxs card on one cat5 net card. Some compaqs have net card mounted on mother board some don't. From net card, run it to a router and then tie you sips into the router. Wala done.
wrhowell
Newsterisk

Return to AsteriskNOW General