ATA recommendations other than Grandstream HT503?

General discussions about AsteriskNOW.

Moderators: Moderator, Support

ATA recommendations other than Grandstream HT503?

Postby FGCUHank » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:08 am

I'm looking for any recommendations on ATA's with one FXS and one FXO port.

I have the HT503 working perfectly with AsteriskNow with one minor little detail. They all have a nasty hum on the FXO side. Been through 3 under warranty already.

If they are not DOA they seem to last a few days before a hum starts to develop on the FXO side. It gets worse, turns into crackling and poof the unit is useless.

I've confirmed this in multiple locations and even tried swapping out power supplies with higher quality ones.

Anyone recommendataions would be greatly appreciated. Zoom?? Cisco? Linksys?

Thanks
FGCUHank
Newsterisk

POOF Hu?

Postby wrhowell » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:59 pm

If I had one, maybe bad? Two, start looking, three real problem.

Before I spent anymore money I would suggest you might want to check a few things first. You may have a problem you are not aware of and if so you might get your money from the phone company for damages.

1: Find a digital volt meter, check you telephone line coming in at the box on side of house(known as the d-mark), check to see that you have a good ground wire going from the box to a rod (or water pipe) stuck in the ground. Make sure that the ground wire doesn't have voltage on it, if it does you have bad ground, clean the pipe connection and then recheck.

2: Go to or have some one check your "earth" ground at your electrical panel. Open ground can cause your computer systems to find its earth ground thru you phone systems.

3: stick your voltmeter in a house plug, watch it off and one a few hours and see if it is spiking -- 110-120 steady --- jumping to 125-140 volts or dropping suddenly and back up. If so call your electric utility and tell them they have a problem with their transformers.

4: You have bad power supply on computer or battery backup.

I think you may find you have bad ground at phone. Don't expect phone company to repay for equipment -- they are only in the business of taking money not giving it back.
wrhowell
Newsterisk

Postby FGCUHank » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:48 pm

Very good suggestions but all have been checked already.

Let me clarify a bit more:
#1. DOA
#2. hum so bad that fxo was not usable, fxo would not hang up.
#3. hum moderate but annoying.

Also the problem was confirmed at 3 of our offices which are already using larger Grandstream gateways. I work at all 3 from time to time so I dragged each with me.

Also I dragged the a larger gateway home and it worked like a charm. But alas, the boss would not let me have it :(

My vendor is giving me full credit and sending me the linksys unit.
FGCUHank
Newsterisk

Postby wrhowell » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:23 am

works for me.
wrhowell
Newsterisk

Postby FGCUHank » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:32 am

I am envious as I really like the little unit...

Considering my case and the willingness of the vendor to take the unit back and credit it, I suspect the vendor got a bad batch of these from Grandstream. Note that all three came from the same vendor.

I have also seen grumblings about noise from Grandstream products on various newsgroups in late 2008. I guess it is possilbe they got shipped some flakey components.
FGCUHank
Newsterisk

Return to AsteriskNOW General