What can AsteriskNOW do for the home user?

General discussions about AsteriskNOW.

Moderators: Moderator, Support

What can AsteriskNOW do for the home user?

Postby Kenj1 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:01 pm

I'm a residential user who has two sip accounts that are currently registered on a Grandstream GXP1200 phone. Everything works fine so what benifits might I gain from using AsteriskNOW :?: Thanks
Kenj1
Newsterisk

Postby wrhowell » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:03 pm

What can it do for you at home?????

Well, I explain to you what I do with it....

Same as PBX for office, people who call our house get the same options of selecting the person they wish to speak with (if we don't know the caller),

If we know the caller ID then it is automatically routed to the extension (like say my daughter's friends, it goes to my daughter's phone in her room, I don't have to be bothered answering phones for kids, five of them) setup for that caller ID. If that individual is not in his/her room, then follow-me is activated to search for cell phone or other number where that person is located or it will simply announce over IP phones the callers name and if we wish to answer then we do if not then it goes to voice mail (and while this is all going on it lets the caller know by recorded message that it is trying to locate the person at extension xxxx),

It provides home telephone services to family members throughout the USA and around the globe (thru sip/VoIP) so that my kids and friends don't each have to pay for landline services, long distance services and international calls (cost effective), we have trunks here for both business use and home, one payment each month and not five different payments to 5 different phone companies,

We use it for video streaming of confr calls, movies, music, and for uploading pictures for advertising bill boards, mobile advertising vehicles & family picture frames at multiple locations,

my children use it for fund raising projects they do for their school, using auto dialer, we can do just like tele-marketers, call and sell cookies, car washes, etc... and take orders over the phone like a call center,
making use of "Call Center" software, my children can do their homework and if a call rings thru to place an order then the required scripts pop up with caller info and they simply take the order. That way they are not out door-to-door selling after school and they get their home work done and learn how a "business & sales" work, in addition, I use the call center & direct dialer to sell "garage sale" stuff on weekends (whole new meaning to the term garage sale),

ever had to set different clocks to remember all the football games and cheerleading practices????, we use it like the motels do with their wake-up service, only ours call parents (and me) to remind them the day before and thirty minutes before time to be at practice, my kids think now I don't forget anything ...lol,

wondering what's at the movies, our PBX dials the local movie houses, records the show & times, then dials our extensions on Thursday nights to let us know what is showing Friday & Saturday at the movies so we can better plan our weekends,

shall I keep going???? I tell people daily, the ideas are endless, only limited by your abilities to think....

I,m doing beta testing on a interface for washer and dryer right now (and it works great I might add) that notifies me thru paging announce function of sip/VoIp phones in house that my laundry is finished, I'm tired of forgetting about wet clothes in the washer for days at a time.... I will save about 100.00 per month on re-washes,

If you come up with some thing new, post it here and share it, that's what its all about...
wrhowell
Newsterisk

Re: What can AsteriskNOW do for the home user?

Postby Imbus » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:55 pm

wrhowell, the washer and dryer bit? That's pure awesome! Nice work!

Imbus

Technology evangelist for automated phone technology - IVR - Predictive Dialers - Appointment Reminders - PBX - Auto Dialers
Imbus
Newsterisk

Postby viruz77 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:54 pm

i have a simple task and wondering if someone can tell me whether this is possible within Asterix or not. I am trying to use this to create a home based task - i currently have a vonage adaptor that allows me to call international for a flat fee and i use calling cards when travelling over my cell phones.

I am wondering if i can convert Asterix into a gateway (maybe i can get another line that acts like an incoming line) and when i call that incoming line through my cell phone - it should be able to push the call directly into using vonage to call international? I am trying to save few hundred dollars through this process? can that work?

If yes, how would i go around do so? I was thinking of using vonage and magicjack (for the incoming line). please advice. thanks in advance.
viruz77
Newsterisk

Postby wrhowell » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:12 pm

What can it do for you at home?????

Well, I explain to you what I do with it....

Same as PBX for office, people who call our house get the same options of selecting the person they wish to speak with (if we don't know the caller),

If we know the caller ID then it is automatically routed to the extension (like say my daughter's friends, it goes to my daughter's phone in her room, I don't have to be bothered answering phones for kids, five of them) setup for that caller ID. If that individual is not in his/her room, then follow-me is activated to search for cell phone or other number where that person is located or it will simply announce over IP phones the callers name and if we wish to answer then we do if not then it goes to voice mail (and while this is all going on it lets the caller know by recorded message that it is trying to locate the person at extension xxxx),

It provides home telephone services to family members throughout the USA and around the globe (thru sip/VoIP) so that my kids and friends don't each have to pay for landline services, long distance services and international calls (cost effective), we have trunks here for both business use and home, one payment each month and not five different payments to 5 different phone companies,

We use it for video streaming of confr calls, movies, music, and for uploading pictures for advertising bill boards, mobile advertising vehicles & family picture frames at multiple locations,

my children use it for fund raising projects they do for their school, using auto dialer, we can do just like tele-marketers, call and sell cookies, car washes, etc... and take orders over the phone like a call center,
making use of "Call Center" software, my children can do their homework and if a call rings thru to place an order then the required scripts pop up with caller info and they simply take the order. That way they are not out door-to-door selling after school and they get their home work done and learn how a "business & sales" work, in addition, I use the call center & direct dialer to sell "garage sale" stuff on weekends (whole new meaning to the term garage sale),

ever had to set different clocks to remember all the football games and cheerleading practices????, we use it like the motels do with their wake-up service, only ours call parents (and me) to remind them the day before and thirty minutes before time to be at practice, my kids think now I don't forget anything ...lol,

wondering what's at the movies, our PBX dials the local movie houses, records the show & times, then dials our extensions on Thursday nights to let us know what is showing Friday & Saturday at the movies so we can better plan our weekends,

shall I keep going???? I tell people daily, the ideas are endless, only limited by your abilities to think....

I,m doing beta testing on a interface for washer and dryer right now (and it works great I might add) that notifies me thru paging announce function of sip/VoIp phones in house that my laundry is finished, I'm tired of forgetting about wet clothes in the washer for days at a time.... I will save about 100.00 per month on re-washes.

Update:

Washer/Dryer thingy working well. I love designing things and watching them work.

Everyone might want to look into some new technology available now known as "femtocells". With this new technology you can place a femtocell within your home, office, etc.... and turn your cell phone into a free communications devise thru you asterisk box. In fact, Magic Jack recently announced the upcoming release of these devices for use on their network. Most all cell phone carriers offer these for use on their network systems for an additional fee per month. Once you obtain one, say with At&T, you take it home, plug it into your broadband service and it now uses your broadband services to communicate with their switched network. Benefit for them, your call now is off loaded from their air network to your broadband service (that you pay for) allowing for better coverage within your home or business. They charge you for the use of this service I might add.

Benefit for you, using femtocells with the asterisk box now opens a lot more options for users of asterisk like us. Instead of paying for used up minutes (prepaid cell phone for example)turn your cell phone into a great portable phone device within your home or business. Some femtocells will handle up to 10-20 cell calls at once. Placed within a business you will now be able to offer additional services for your customers. Add WiMax or WiFi to this neat little device and now you can extend your PBX Systems into another building without wire or cabling. We can now offer home phone services to your neighbors for a small fee per month. Great in areas like apartments where most of the residents use prepaid cell service, or, in office suites for offering PBX services to tenants.. You won't find a bunch of them available on e-bay or places like that but you can search the net for location to purchase them as I did.

If you come up with some thing new, post it here and share it, that's what its all about...
wrhowell
Newsterisk

Postby riddlebox » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:59 am

I wrote a script to setup mythtv recordings, I can call home, hit * which brings me to a menu then I choose to setup a recording, Asterisk asks me a few questions like which channel, what time will it start and how long to record. Then it sends all of that info to mythtv and sets up a manual recording. I know there is so much more it could do but sadly my tuner cards have all went out on me this week so I have nothing to record with anymore....and am not paying all that money to replace them now.
riddlebox
Asterisk Freak

Postby cadillackid » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:56 am

im not using AsteriskNOW but am using regular asterisk set up with XAP integration and so I can call into my asterisk, listen to the temperatures in various rooms, know whether the alarm is armed or not, set HVAC system modes and temperatures, open and close the garage door, turn on / off lights, and many other home related things...

effectively anything that is connected to my Homeseer Homne automation system I can reach with asterisk through the XAP connector....

and of course it is my phone system too with call screening, telemarketer zapping, follow-me forwarding, etc....

-Christopher
cadillackid
Oldsterisk

Return to AsteriskNOW General