Is Asterisk the solution I've been looking for?

General discussions about AsteriskNOW.

Moderators: Moderator, Support

Is Asterisk the solution I've been looking for?

Postby dumdadum » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:53 am

Hello,

I have a question. I looked on the Asterisk main website, but theres not much info. So here's my question. Maybe someone can help me.

I work in a company that does tech support over the phone for an internet service provider. We are presently using Televantage as our telephone call server. Right now I would like to bring a few changes. Like getting rid of the Windows workstations, and installing Linux instead. So my main concern is if Televantage will work under Linux if I use wine. But something better would be a Linux software to replace Televantage.

So can anyone tell me if Asterisk can be used to manage our incoming calls the same way Televantage would? I will describe Televantage for those of you who dont know what it is. When we receive a call, it pops on the Televantage software. We see the number of the caller if its not blocked, and we only need to click on the incoming call for it to ring at our station. We could hold calls, park calls, do conference calls, monitor calls. There is even a section that manages our inbox. Lets say someone leaves us a message during closed hours, we could see the call, listen to the message, and eventually we are able to call back that person. There is also a section in Televantage where we can leave notes about a call. So if the receptionist takes the call, she leaves us notes for us tech to see for when we will take that call. She usually leaves us info like the username of the account, so it saves us time.

Can Asterisk do all this? Because if so, you can be sure I will propose this to my boss.

If Asterisk is what I'm looking for to replace Televantage, do I need any specific hardware to make it work? Is it expensive? I was looking more for a free solution. The goal is to save money. So yeah any details on how to actually make this work would be awesome.

If anyone could please help me and guide me, that would be so cool.

Cheers (=
dumdadum
Newsterisk

Re: Is Asterisk the solution I've been looking for?

Postby mazilo » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:17 am

dumdadum wrote:I have a question. I looked on the Asterisk main website, but theres not much info. So here's my question. Maybe someone can help me.

Read this Asterisk: The Future of Telephony, 2nd Edition e-book to get more information about asterisk.
mazilo
Oldsterisk

Return to AsteriskNOW General