Doing some research

General discussions about AsteriskNOW.

Moderators: Moderator, Support

Doing some research

Postby mcangeli » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:08 am

Ok, so I'm in the process of doing some research. I have a quote from a local vendor for a Cisco based VoIP solution to replace our current Norstar-Plus PBX system.

We just converted from a PRI to AT&T's IP Flex (I currently have the Cisco Router plugged in via T1 to the PBX and its working) and I want to make the best use of the IP Flex I can.

We have a total of 80 Direct Dial (if someone dials xxx-xxx-7061 it rings directly to my desk) and we'd like to keep using those. Not all are in service and some are fax lines, data lines, etc. that are currently being handled as analog lines via the PBX.

With AsteriskNow is it possible to have the DID's still in place? Do I need to keep my current PBX and interface or can I put in a distributed asterisk setup and change the phones to IP phones and softphones?

I'm a one man IT department, with very little budget to work with (which is one of the reasons I'm even considering this as an option) and I'm looking not necessarily for the easiest solution (I don't mind getting my hands dirty) but for the best solution at the best price.

And before someone posts the link, yes, I'm already reading through "Asterisk The Future of Telephony"
mcangeli
Newsterisk

Re: Doing some research

Postby mazilo » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:30 am

mcangeli wrote:I'm a one man IT department, with very little budget to work with (which is one of the reasons I'm even considering this as an option) and I'm looking not necessarily for the easiest solution (I don't mind getting my hands dirty) but for the best solution at the best price.

I like a person who doesn't mind to get his/her hands dirty, let alone one that already reads the Asterisk: The Future of Telephony, 2nd Edition e-book. :D

If your company is a SOHO, then your best option is to have a plain/vanilla version of asterisk hosted on a Linux embedded system. This, no only will save electrical bill, but also takes less space and emits no noise. I have an old/discontrinue Netgear WGT634U NAT/Firewall/WiFi router flashed with a self-built version of OpenWRT firmware to host my Asterisk PBX system (asterisk-1.6.2.6). The whole system boots off of an external USB partition. It works just fine for me, YMMV.
mazilo
Oldsterisk

Re: Doing some research

Postby mikebarn21 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:24 am

I agree. The plain version is the best if you are looking for something that is low key.

------------------

trendy design
mikebarn21
Newsterisk

Return to AsteriskNOW General