Requirements (e.g. hardware) to setup a VOIP using Asterisk

General discussions about AsteriskNOW.

Moderators: Moderator, Support

Requirements (e.g. hardware) to setup a VOIP using Asterisk

Postby donie evalle » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:55 pm

Good day,

Hi I'm just new to Asterisk, I want to setup a VOIP using Asterisk here at our office just a maximum of 5 - 8 IP Phones. Can anyone tell me what i need for me to make Asterisk work? please...

What are the System Requirements? Hardwares (IP Phones, etc...)...

Thanks,
donie
donie evalle
Newsterisk

Re: Requirements (e.g. hardware) to setup a VOIP using Asterisk

Postby mazilo » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:33 am

donie evalle wrote:I want to setup a VOIP using Asterisk here at our office just a maximum of 5 - 8 IP Phones. Can anyone tell me what i need for me to make Asterisk work?

I have about five ATA devices registered as extensions to my Asterisk PBX system hosted on a long discontinued WGT634U NAT/Firewall/WiFi router flashed with a self-built/stripped down version of OpenWRT firmware. So far, I have tested with three concurrent calls (no transcondig) with no problems. I believe this device can easily handle 10+ concurrent calls with no transconding. The reasons I chose this route were the available of hardware, operational costs, and environmental impacts. This device consumes less than 12Watts (12VDC @2Amps) of electricity with no noise (no moving mechanical parts) and takes very little space. If I use this device as my main NAT/Firewall/WiFi router, then the savings can be further minimized in terms of operational costs and space allocations. For a configuration of eight IP Phones (as Asterisk extensions), this PlugPBX (costs about $100) perhaps is the best choice.
mazilo
Oldsterisk

Return to AsteriskNOW General