Best way to go for telephone service

General discussions about AsteriskNOW.

Moderators: Moderator, Support

Best way to go for telephone service

Postby BShurilla09 » Fri May 20, 2011 1:03 am

Ok, so I am working with a relatively small, but very technically advanced church, and we have a spare Dell Poweredge 6650 that we are planning on putting AsteriskNOW on, but we can't decide what to do for phone service. We can get 2 unlimited lines from charter, one line being a "full line" ya know, has all the caller id and stuff, and the 2nd line as just a "basic" fax line, for $25 a month, and best I can tell, in order to connect the charter lines to the server, I just need a pci card with 2 FXO ports, which I have found around $120 online.. The other option from what I can gather is that we could go with someone like Broadvoice, and skip the FXO card, but I just am not sure as this is my first time with any kind of telephony systems.. on a side note, right now we have vonage small business, at $75 a month, and only use about 200 minutes a month..
BShurilla09
Newsterisk

Re: Best way to go for telephone service

Postby malcolmd » Fri May 20, 2011 7:00 am

Howdy,

Yes, for two analog lines, you'll need two analog FXO interfaces.

BroadVoice works, too. You'll need a SIP trunk from them capable of providing two simultaneous calls.

You can elect to stay with Vonage, but you can't connect directly to them - you'll have to hang FXO interfaces on the back side of the FXS interfaces provided by their ATA.

If what you found online is a clone of someone else's (Digium's) card, I'd encourage you *not* to buy that clone. For one, it's a clone. Second, money put towards clones is money that does *not* fund Asterisk. That funding covers infrastructure to bring you Asterisk, developers who fix bugs and add new features, etc.

On the other hand, if it is a Digium card, bravo, thank you for continuing to make it possible for us to keep working on Asterisk...and providing such useful things as this forum.

Cheers
Malcolm Davenport
Digium, Inc. | Senior Product Manager
malcolmd
Moves Like Spencer

Postby BShurilla09 » Fri May 20, 2011 9:37 am

Ok, are there any voip providers that asterisk recommends? Cuase there is a ton and I'm getting confused choosing one lol.. we just need to be able to talk and fax at the same time, for less than the $75 we are paying now..
BShurilla09
Newsterisk

Postby malcolmd » Fri May 20, 2011 9:40 am

Howdy,

Faxing across VoIP providers is the tricky business. T.38 was built to mitigate some of the problems of faxing across VoIP. The trouble is that the specs were so loosely defined (or hard to interpret) that everyone's implementation of T.38 is a little bit different.

Broadvox with its T.38 faxing seems to play nicely with Asterisk, so if you must fax, I'd go that route.
Malcolm Davenport
Digium, Inc. | Senior Product Manager
malcolmd
Moves Like Spencer

Return to AsteriskNOW General