New release?

General discussions about AsteriskNOW.

Moderators: Moderator, Support

New release?

Postby managedtrix » Sun May 22, 2011 9:23 am

Is there going to be a new release of AsteriskNOW with Asterisk 1.8. prebuilt? (ie not upgrading)?
managedtrix
Newsterisk

Re: New release?

Postby stevenmccann » Tue May 31, 2011 7:03 am

+1
I'm also waiting for asterisknow to be released with asterisk 1.8 (and I suspect FreePBX 2.9?)...

Is there a developer channel to hear/see how this is in the works?
stevenmccann
Newsterisk

Postby rmontgomery » Tue May 31, 2011 9:26 am

Asterisk 1.8 and AsteriskNOW

The packages for Asterisk 1.8 and the updated Asterisk-GUI are available today from the Digium software repository that's used by AsteriskNOW. Instructions for using the Asterisk 1.8 packages on AsteriskNOW are in another thread.

AsteriskNOW numbering is one minor version higher than the default/recommended version contained in the release.
  • Asterisk 1.4 => AsteriskNOW 1.5
  • Asterisk 1.6 => AsteriskNOW 1.7
  • Asterisk 1.8 => AsteriskNOW 1.9
Here's an explanation I wrote in the earlier-referenced thread about Asterisk 1.8:
Unlike other ISO distributions for Asterisk, AsteriskNOW does not force the user to a particular GUI, or to any GUI at all. It's therefore useful to provide the Asterisk 1.8 package as an option for non-GUI users, but this option is not included in the installation menu. When the Asterisk-GUI is up to date for Asterisk 1.8 and we're ready to recommend this pairing to newcomers, we'll spin a new ISO for AsteriskNOW.

We know that AsteriskNOW is a popular vehicle for newcomers to use, so we want to be sure that their first experience is a good one. To accelerate the release of AsteriskNOW 1.9, please download and test the Asterisk 1.8 and Asterisk-GUI 2.1 packages. Report any trouble to the AsteriskNOW or Asterisk-GUI projects on http://issues.asterisk.org.

AsteriskNOW and FreePBX

Our aim to to make AsteriskNOW a "clean" distribution that allows users to choose exactly what they need and no more, using simple and supported RPM packages. The FreePBX maintainers have begun adding custom patches to Asterisk in order to work properly with their code. Since these changes are not (yet) in a current package of Asterisk, it's not clear that we will be able to include a functional FreePBX in AsteriskNOW 1.9.

As much as we want to include FreePBX fans in the AsteriskNOW experience, we must follow the standard process to add new code to Asterisk. (Most of the patches have been contributed and accepted into Asterisk trunk, but have not yet percolated into releases and packages. This process takes time and testing.)

If you're a FreePBX fan, please encourage the FreePBX maintainers to build on the genuine, supported Asterisk packages. Dividing the user community with custom Asterisk versions has significant drawbacks. But by keeping the development on prebuilt packages, systems can be maintained much more easily than with user-compiled or custom-built packages. And by unifying Asterisk integrators on Digium's official Asterisk packages, the benefits of testing and integration are enjoyed by everyone.
rmontgomery
Site Admin

Postby jeffl » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:41 am

I believe this page has your answers:
http://www.freepbx.org/news/2011-06-12/ ... e-thinking
It looks like it will be the beginning of November for release 2.10. I don't see anything specifically stating that 2.9 won't be modified to release with Asterisk 1.8 but I get that impression.
jeffl
Newsterisk

Return to AsteriskNOW General