Want to setup a IP-PBX with Asterisks Now and need help

General discussions about AsteriskNOW.

Moderators: Moderator, Support

Want to setup a IP-PBX with Asterisks Now and need help

Postby 1day » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:07 am

Hi,

I am trying to setup a brand new PBX at home, something I can easily monitor and upgrade and play around with.

We have need for 20 possibly 25 extensions. Since I am going to be using a lot of Wifi SIp phones as extensions, it might bring down the need for more extensions.

Anyhow. I am a developer, infact worked on creating core telecomm grade system for a startup so I have no problem with techy responses.

Since I have moved on to more sales and marketing roles and want to keep it that way so I wanted to see if Now is the right product for me? I want a system that does everything for me with as little configuration as possible. I do not want to do too much with the system other than act as a pbx for my house. 4 pri lines coming in and getting routed to my desired extensions based on time of day, coming numbers etc and if all goes well and easy then a voicemail system.

Along with the desire to do all open source for PBX, I want to the same for Media server riding on the same wired and wireless infrastructure I am creating at home. The reason I mention that is because I wanted to see how CPU/Memory hungry is Now or for that matter a PBX solution for 4 outside lines?

I was thinking of running both my applications from one powerful box. Since Media server application is not very CPU intensive I thought it might work. What do you think? Currently I was thinking of doing a i7 970 with 12gb 1600mhz ram and 14tb hdd but I could upgrade the processor or RAM is need be. I think I should be ok with the hdd space for now.

So my main Qs.

1. Is Now for me?
2. Is it easy to work with, if I do not want to rack my brains on configuring it.
3, Run on a single box which will be shared as a media server to support upto 15 tvs but no more than 3 tv streams will come out of it at the same time. (its not like i have to make it 1 box, could be 2, but thought conserving physical resources might be better and why throw money when might not need to)
4. Since this system will be installed in India, my PRI lines will be india numbers but I was thinking of getting a US number as well and send all international or atleast US based calls through that which will be a VoIP connection. Will Now work with vonage or a similar provider? any suggestions on that?

Thanks for all your help in advance..
1day
Newsterisk

Re: Want to setup a IP-PBX with Asterisks Now and need help

Postby 1day » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:11 am

Also can you guys suggest some nice wifi and wired voip phones that i could use for extensions?

nothing too fancy and nothing too bargain basement.

Also could i use an old iphone with a SIP client as an extension? It might be cool if I could.

Another quick one I had was, could I tell Now to store conversations for certain extensions or certain incoming/outgoing numbers from any extensions? Need it for house help etc not to spy on my wife or anything :evil:
1day
Newsterisk

Postby 1day » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:11 am

no one??

Someone plz help..
1day
Newsterisk

Postby 1day » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:14 am

Trying my luck with some help, even if no one can help can you atleast tell me where would I get my answer.

Thanks
1day
Newsterisk

Return to AsteriskNOW General