Make a phone dial an extension remotely

General discussions about AsteriskNOW.

Moderators: Moderator, Support

Make a phone dial an extension remotely

Postby GreenEnvy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:42 pm

Hi all,
I'm currently using my Asterisknow box as a glorified baby monitor (among other things). I setup a conference room (x 600), and from the babies room I dial x 601 which joins them to the conference in 600 in talk only mode. From any other phone, or my laptop at work, I can then dial 602, which puts me into that 600 conference room in listen only mode.

This is all working well, and is quite convenient.
However, one thing that gets us sometimes, is one of us puts the baby to bed, and forgets to dial in the phone.
We don't want to go back in later, for fear of waking the baby.

Currently, I can get around this by dialing the baby room extension as intercom (*80xxx), then transferring the call to 601, then dialing into 602 on the listening phone. This works, but is too cumbersome for my wife, who wants a simple setup.

Is there a way I can setup a custom extension or application where when we call a certain extension, it will make the babies phone dial into 601, or even to automate the above procedure?
As a second complication, sometimes we do have the babies phone dialed in, but mute it while getting the baby to sleep so as not to disturb the other people in the house. If we forget to unmute, then it's more complicated. Currently I then login to FOP from my laptop and end the active call. Is there a way to do this from another phone?

Thanks!
PS - phones are Grandstream GXP2100's if it matters. Running AsteriskNow 1.7.1 with Freepbx 2.8
GreenEnvy
Newsterisk

Re: Make a phone dial an extension remotely

Postby cerien.jean » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:17 pm

Some phones can pick up automatically with the right addition to the sip message. I cant tell about your phone, but as an example, an aastra 6751 will switch to hands free when receiving an invite with extra sip header containing:
Alert-Info:%20\;info=alert-autoanswer - and with the proper setup of the phone, the mic will be on.

To add this info, use: http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Aste ... pAddHeader

j.
cerien.jean
Oldsterisk

Postby GreenEnvy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:09 am

The issue isn't getting it to automatically answer a call, that is already working fine. I'd like to be able to tell it to dial an extension# remotely, or possibly have the conference room itself dial that phone.

Secondly a way to terminate a phone call, or all phone calls, using just another phone would be nice (so not via the web interface or ssh, but from a phone itself).
GreenEnvy
Newsterisk

Postby cerien.jean » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:00 am

sorry... the idea was that when you forget to dial from the baby's room, you just pick up any phone, and dial to the baby's room with the extra command to have the remote phone pick up automatically, allowing you to hear what's happening there without moving
cerien.jean
Oldsterisk

Return to AsteriskNOW General