step by step instructions?

General discussions about AsteriskNOW.

Moderators: Moderator, Support

step by step instructions?

Postby mike_b2 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:21 pm

Hello there,

I am quite new to this all, and I am trying to set up an Asterisk based PBX for an office. I have installed AsteriskNOW 1.7.1, and it seems to be running (I can access it from another PC using the web management console for FreePBX). The Asterisk PC has access to the internet through my netgear router/firewall, and that seems to work fine.

So far so good. I have also signed up with Broadview for incoming calls. I will sign up with another company for outgoing calls later. I have also downloaded Xlite-4 and it is running on my PC. I have been following the instructions here: http://chayden.net/Asterisk/SeUpAsteriskAtHome.htm, which seem to be quite extensive, but also quite old. It looks like the software changed (from Asterisk@home to AsteriskNOW, and from Asterisk Management Portal to FreePBX), the Xlite4 softphone looks completely different from what is described, and I am getting "Account failed to enable" on the xlite4, with a "SIP error 408". With all the parameters that I need to set in asterisk and the softphone, I am not surprised that I get this. In addition I don't know if I need to open any ports on the firewall to allow asterisk to communicate with Broadview.

How do I test this step by step so I can get a working installation and then refine it from there?

Thanks for your help.
mike_b2
Newsterisk

Re: step by step instructions?

Postby mike_b2 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:38 pm

Step 1: Get the softphone to connect.
I did this by playing around with some of the parameters. The softphone now connects to the server, and I can call myself (on the extension I had defined), can leave a message, and the message is forwarded to my email as an attachment. Do I guess the softphone works.

I have tried to set up Broadvoice as an incoming SIP trunk, but when I call the number from a different phone, I get an error message that "the user is on the phone". I assume that this is a standard option at BroadVoice and that my server is not connecting to theirs. This could be due to several issues: The NAT does not let the communication through (do I have to open ports?), some of the parameters are set incorrectly.

The latter issue is a bit weird, as all I can find on the web tells me to edit, for example, sip.conf. But when I open that (in 1.7.1), it specifically tells me NOT to change it as the settings are done through the web interface.

How do I troubleshoot this?
mike_b2
Newsterisk

Postby mike_b2 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:08 pm

After a lot of trial and error, I was able to get a system that works more or less the way I wanted it. No need to post replies to this thread. Thanks.
mike_b2
Newsterisk

Postby Babuu » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:41 am

Mike

please can u help me out

i have know how on cisco cucm
but i want to know Asterisk bad enough no help from forum
Babuu
Newsterisk

Return to AsteriskNOW General