Can I use asteriskNow for commercial use?

General discussions about AsteriskNOW.

Moderators: Moderator, Support

Can I use asteriskNow for commercial use?

Postby smartym_2002 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:41 pm

Hello All,
I am just wondering, Can I install asteriskNow and use this for commercial use in my business?
Example, If my business provides a an exsting SMS based service to our clicents, can I use AsteriskNow and integrate it with my existing service(for receiving and makng calls) and use it for business?

I believe I can as its a open source under GNU license but still was someone to confirm.

Thanks.
smartym_2002
Newsterisk

Re: Can I use asteriskNow for commercial use?

Postby smartym_2002 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:48 pm

Experts please share your thoughts...
Need your expert advise....thanks
smartym_2002
Newsterisk

Postby david55 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:56 am

You bumped the thread 1 hour and 57 minutes too early.

"Commercial use" can have varying meanings.

The licensing terms should be included with the software, so you should not have to speculate on the nature of the licenses. If they are not, that is a breach of the licensing!

There are probably no lawyers on this forum and Digium do not monitor this forum in any formal capacity. Anyone who could give an authorative answer is unlikely to do so until some time after the start of US business hours, today.

Most users of AsteriskNow use it as a business PABX.
david55
Moves Like Spencer

Postby malcolmd » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:46 am

The GPLv2 doesn't restrict commercial use.

Granted, we do distribute a couple of things with AsteriskNOW that aren't under GPLv2 - notably res_digium_phone.so and our libregister bit that presents a friendlier interface to FreePBX for registering Digium commercial products. But, neither is central to the operation of AsteriskNOW (nor is res_digium_phone even enabled by default), so your use of the product shouldn't preclude what you've mentioned.

If you're concerned about it, you should consult with your legal council. No one speaking on these forums is an authority on the law.
Malcolm Davenport
Digium, Inc. | Senior Product Manager
malcolmd
Moves Like Spencer

Return to AsteriskNOW General