Better to user AsteriskNow or edit config files directly?

General discussions about AsteriskNOW.

Moderators: Moderator, Support

Better to user AsteriskNow or edit config files directly?

Postby jrble819 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:15 pm

I can't seem to find a good answer through the forums, but if this topic exists, feel free to direct me to it. I've played around a little with AsteriskNow and I've done a good bit of playing with plain old asterisk and editing the config files by hand. I'm going to be deploying a medium sized IP phone network across 30 or so different locations in the next year or so. I like the full control I have when modifying the config files directly, but I also like that I could let some of the executives possibly make changes in the FreePBX interface. I'm just having a hard time deciding where to go from here. We'll be taking advantage of some of the more complex features like conference bridges, wait queuing, and auto attendent prompts. I want to try and keep it free, so I'm thinking my options are probably straight Asterisk or AsteriskNow/FreePBX. Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

- Justin
jrble819
Newsterisk

Re: Better to user AsteriskNow or edit config files directly?

Postby ianplain » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:26 am

Hi

lso like that I could let some of the executives possibly make changes in the FreePBX interface. I'm just having a hard time deciding where to go from here. We'll be taking advantage of some of the more complex features like conference bridges, wait queuing, and auto attendent prompts.

None of those are overly complex, and are all handled well in freepbx and its variants such as Elastix. TBH things such as prompts are handled better in a GUI than in raw files. You can still use you own complex code if you wanted and integrate it with the GUI. You can even change the GUI to suit what you want, We recently had to do this on a couple of occasions. most recently for queues so that we can add the macro option when an agent answers.
ianplain
Moves Like Spencer

Return to AsteriskNOW General