Route calls to different trunks based on past usage

General discussions about AsteriskNOW.

Moderators: Moderator, Support

Route calls to different trunks based on past usage

Postby stoinov » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:54 am

New user of AsteriskNOW here.
I wonder if it's possible to route outgoing calls to a specific trunk, based on a past usage of all the trunks.

For instance:
I have a specific destination that have certain monthly usage after which it becomes unavailable.
I would like to setup Asterisk to route the calls by default to Trunk1. Then, based on logs and monitored data of the monthly usage to reroute them to Trunk2 when certain threshold is passed. After a certain date, the calls are rerouted again through Trunk1 and the data is reset.

Another option would be to look for all the usage of given trunk for a specific period in the past and decide whether to route through Trunk1 or Trunk2 based on threshold.

Are there such functionalities build in Asterisk or are there similar modules?
Or you could just give me directions what capabilities of Asterisk should I use to implement it myself, since I am not familiar with all the options.
stoinov
Newsterisk

Re: Route calls to different trunks based on past usage

Postby david55 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:57 am

Asterisk has the building blocks for this, but there are no standard solutions, and the difficulty of the solution is likely to depend on how accurately you want to record the usage.

Note that, if the provider simply rejects calls over the limit, the problem becomes a lot easier.

Before you go further, you need to be clear whether you are using Asterisk directly, or through FreePBX. I believe FreePBX has standard solutions for trunks that fail completely, but for further details, you need to go to the FreePBX.org web site. If you are working directly with Asterisk, more people will see the question if you ask on Asterisk Support. Asterisk NOW forums are really for installation problems and General ones for discussion.
david55
Moves Like Spencer

Return to AsteriskNOW General