Help with AsteriskNOW CLI

General discussions about AsteriskNOW.

Moderators: Moderator, Support

Help with AsteriskNOW CLI

Postby itparttimer » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:01 pm

I installed AsteriskNOW on a spare laptop, grabbed some spare IP phones and I am playing around with it.

So far I am working completely in the FreePBX Administration page. No problems. The GUI is easy to figure out.

My confusion start when I am required to do things directly in Asterisk at the CLI. I know zero about Linux. I am clueless on something like checking the JRE version or navigating to a file directory.

For example I have seen the following for checking JRE version:
$JAVA_HOME/bin/java -version
java -version

I am sure, if I search more I'll find more commands. None seem to work on the CLI.

In order to better understand using the CLI to administer Asterisk, what do I need to learn. Is this an Asterisk thing or do I need to know the OS (I am assuming Linux)?

Sorry for the confusion. I am a Mac and Windows GUI guy. I administer Windows networks and do a decent job programming in SQL and C#. However, I am starting from zero on learning LInux and Asterisk.

Thanks for your guidance.
itparttimer
Newsterisk

Re: Help with AsteriskNOW CLI

Postby david55 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:53 am

Your example is for the OS CLI, not the Asterisk CLI.
david55
Moves Like Spencer

Postby itparttimer » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:09 am

Your answer shows my confusion.

I understand Asterisk is the program running in an OS (in this case Linux, I think). When following instructions on topics like installing JRE, check JRE version, setting environment variables and so on I am not sure which one I should be working in.

I am starting from scratch and looking for resources to learn the fundamentals. I'd like to figure out some of my problems by understand the fundamentals instead of searching the internet for every question.

Thx
itparttimer
Newsterisk

Postby david55 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:21 pm

Those examples all relate to the operating system.
david55
Moves Like Spencer

Return to AsteriskNOW General