TDM400P and T38 fax receiving

Community-based Support for users of Free Fax For Asterisk

TDM400P and T38 fax receiving

Postby awysocki » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:46 pm

I'm not quite sure I understand all the T.38 fax set up. This is my goal.

I have a fax machine here in my office I want to be able to convert the output from the fax machine's modem to T.38 and send it to my VoIP provider who says they support sending T.38

FAX machine -> dahdi port (Wildcard TDM400P REV E/F Board) -> {internet} -> Voip Provider -> End fax machine.

When my FAX machine places the call Asterisk responds with
[Apr 16 16:54:47] NOTICE[27520]: chan_dahdi.c:4632 dahdi_handle_dtmfup: Fax detected, but no fax extension

I'm not clear, but I think this is NOT supported with the current Free FAX port that Digium is given. But I wanted to ask just to be sure.

Last question. If Asterisk can not do this. Is there an ATA that I can purchase to provide the Fax Modem to T.38 conversion?

Thanks
Andy
awysocki
Newsterisk

free means "no support"

Postby mykhyggz » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:39 am

> I'm not quite sure I understand all the T.38 fax set up. This is my goal.

Keep studying, you'll get there. No one will guide you, though.

> When my FAX machine places the call Asterisk responds with
[Apr 16 16:54:47] NOTICE[27520]: chan_dahdi.c:4632 dahdi_handle_dtmfup: Fax detected, but no fax extension

So, put in a fax extension. exten => fax,1..... this is a common error, and it told you what it was.

> I'm not clear, but I think this is NOT supported with the current Free FAX port that Digium is given. But I wanted to ask just to be sure.

Who is going to tell you? "Free" means "No Support".
mykhyggz
Newsterisk

Postby wauters » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:15 pm

I am confused on this whole fax setup as well. I have the same setup described above, but when I send a fax asterisk does not even see that it is a fax. I think I am missing some config somewhere but not sure where. Thanks for the help. I have read the manual, but there are so many options and it does not say where these options are to be placed.
wauters
Newsterisk

What I wanted can not be done

Postby awysocki » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:31 pm

From what I have found, I could not do what I wanted. I was able to get asterisk to answer the phone and see it was a fax, but I could not figure out how to route that to the far end.

To get Asterisk to look for the FAX tones. I just added in to my

chan_dahdi.conf file the following

faxdetect=both

This worked, but then Asterisk just tried to keep the fax and I had no way of sending it to the far end. I guess I could have received it in, then did a sendfax to the number it needed to be sent to. But the FAX software they have will not allow you to

FAX ---> * (dahdi chan) <-internet-> Voip Provider ---> FAX machine (far end)
awysocki
Newsterisk

One other thing

Postby awysocki » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:35 pm

Once you get dahdi to see the fax tones. Then it complains of not having a fax extension. So somewhere else it was explained you have to a a FAX extension. Where all my extensions have always been number it didn't click at first, but I then added to my extensions.conf file (which really should be called dialplan.conf, but thats a different gripe)

exten => fax,1,NoOp(********WOW Fax Detected ********)
exten => fax,n,Set(FAXOPT(ecm)=yes)
exten => fax,n,Set(FAXOPT(headerinfo)=MY FAXBACK RX)
exten => fax,n,Set(FAXOPT(localstationid)=5555551234)
exten => fax,n,Set(FAXOPT(maxrate)=14400)
exten => fax,n,Set(FAXOPT(minrate)=2400)
exten => fax,n,ReceiveFAX(/tmp/fax.tif)

Since this wasn't working as I wanted I didn't bother to generate a fax name for the .tif file, I hard coded it
awysocki
Newsterisk

Postby wauters » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:38 pm

So your setup does not send the fax to your fax machine?
wauters
Newsterisk

Yes that I could do

Postby awysocki » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:41 pm

I never tried that, but with the info I have for receiving, I'm guessing you would just need to do a SendFax(...) command after you dial and connect the call
awysocki
Newsterisk

Postby wauters » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:46 pm

I just added the faxdetect=both to my dahdi.conf and reloaded asterisk and it still does not see my outgoing fax.

So in extensions.conf I should put???

exten => fax,1,NoOp(********WOW Fax Detected ********)
exten => fax,n,Sendfax(DAHDI4/1)
wauters
Newsterisk

You did install your FAX 1 port free software

Postby awysocki » Fri May 01, 2009 10:38 am

Did you install the 1 port free FAX software? Did the registration work?
awysocki
Newsterisk

Postby wauters » Fri May 01, 2009 10:41 am

Yes I have the software installed and everything was fine. I can so a fax show stats at the cli, but no sessions ever show up.
wauters
Newsterisk

Postby awysocki » Fri May 01, 2009 10:47 am

Don't know what else to suggest, it worked out of the box for me. Once I turned on fax anytime I made a call on that DAHDI line it would listen for the fax tones and notify when it heard one.

You are using a DAHDI channel and not a SIP channel right?

The best would be to go back step by step of the fax PDF file and check to make sure you didn't miss anything.
awysocki
Newsterisk

Return to Fax For Asterisk