Business Skype accounts only?

A forum for Skype For Asterisk users to ask questions and get advice from other users

Moderators: twilson, pete engler

Business Skype accounts only?

Postby paviles » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:40 am

Just downloaded the beta and while reading through the documentation it mentions that only skype business accounts can be used. Is this a limitation on the beta or a hard limitation on the product going forward?

Any reason for that?

Regards,

Paul Aviles
www.nickelnetworks.com
paviles
Newsterisk

Postby twilson » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:28 am

This is a hard limitation on the product going forward and is a restriction instituted on Skype's side. We are talking to them about adding the ability to use Skype for Asterisk with Skype accounts that are created outside of the Business Control Panel and moved in, but that is not something that one should count on being possible.

So, right now, you need to create a regular account to manage the BCP (which, since it is created outside of the BCP won't be able to be used with SFA) and then create the SFA accounts from within the BCP (again, not inviting people via email or existing Skype account, but actually creating managed accounts).

Sorry for the inconvenience, but these are decisions that are outside of Digium's control.
twilson
Oldsterisk

Postby paviles » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:04 am

Maybe I am interpreting incorrectly and if so please disregard.

It is weird that they imposse this type of restriction. While a completely different software, we have tested skip2pbx and they dont not have the same limitation. You can use any generic skype account to originate or receive calls.

If that is the case the decision for many will be very simple IMHO as to use Digium's product or other gw type.

There should be no reason why Skype imposses any control on what type of accounts you use for originating or receiving calls. After all, you can use skype on your computer without any restrictions. It is only a convenience factor to pass the calls on the asterisk side.

Paul Aviles
www.nickelnetworks.com
paviles
Newsterisk

Postby twilson » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:20 pm

As far as I (personally) know, those products are very likely violating Skype's Terms of Service and End User Licensing Agreements. We would be quite happy if the limitation were removed as well, but it is not our decision.

As SFA has been developed in cooperation with Skype, we are limited by the temrs of those agreements. Other products that do not operate within the Skype ToS are taking their chances.

Feel free to contact Skype to make known your opposition to this restriction, though. Like I said, we would be happy to see it removed as well.
twilson
Oldsterisk

Postby Docteh » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:17 pm

Can managed BCP accounts subscribe to unlimited skypeout minutes? if not, thats probably why. (pure speculation)
Docteh
Newsterisk

Postby ianplain » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:42 pm

Hi

Yes they can

The BCP lets a user control and share subsciptions.

Ian
ianplain
Moves Like Spencer

Postby ihailey » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:42 am

This is not cool, I don't want to have to create new accounts to use SFA. Obviously everyone has my Skype ID already and I am not about to change it. It would be OK if you could simply upgrade a Skype account to a business account in order to allow the same Skype account ID to be valid for use with SFA.
ihailey
Newsterisk

Postby markwaters » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:03 am

I have created a new business account , tested it by logging in via the skype client on my nokia n800 , yet it still fails to login through asterisk.

the beta only lasts 1 month , I am not sure I will get it going before it expires at this rate.

*sigh*
markwaters
Newsterisk

Business accounts

Postby Chesther » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:57 am

Using the business accounts for a system that requires the user credentials to be stored on the asterisk server makes a certain amount of sense to me. The company that owns the PBX should have a certain level of control over the Skype accounts that interface with its PBX.

I'm less concerned about having to create new accounts (although for some of my users, that would be an issue). For us, the fact that individual business account users can't pay for things like SkypeOut minutes is sub-optimal. It would also be preferable to have one password that SFA used, and a separate password that the user used. (For example, let the BCP master account password work for any subordinate user.) This would ease password management/coordination issues. I realize these are more Skype issues than SFA issues, but since Digium is talking to Skype, I'm throwing them out here for consideration.
Chesther
Newsterisk

Postby twilson » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:28 am

@markwaters
It isn't just having a user that is part of the Business Control Panel that is necessary, it is having a user that is created from *within* the Business Contol Panel. So after creating the BCP with a normal Skype user, you then have to go to Add Users and then use the first section where you actually create a managed user to create the SFA users.

I know...
twilson
Oldsterisk

Postby markwaters » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:07 am

Just tried creating *another* business user account inside the BCP , now I just get "An internal error occurred." message after entering the new user email address and skype name.

I have captured the screen here.
markwaters
Newsterisk

Postby twilson » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:18 am

Perhaps they are getting a lot of requests after the Open Beta was announced and are experiencing issues? I sent my contacts at Skype the link to your screenshot, but haven't heard anything back, yet.
twilson
Oldsterisk

Postby ianplain » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:30 am

try creating a username as a real name and not some kind of random dyndns address.

BCP has been around for some time and is not linked to the SFA beta. its more linked to skypes own products for business

Ian
ianplain
Moves Like Spencer

Postby twilson » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:26 am

BCP has been around, but the ability to create managed users from inside the BCP is new.
twilson
Oldsterisk

Postby ianplain » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:46 am

Hi

The managed users are new, They had to get the eula changed to reflect the change of user type. I pleased with skypes changes and the business direction its now moving in.

Im interested to see what the licence costs are going to be compared to sipforskype channels

Ian
ianplain
Moves Like Spencer

Postby smartbyte » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:45 pm

That BCP thing is very annoying :evil: , but another aspect which bothers me, is, what happens after the 31. of August? :?

I would like to use this product, and have no problem with paying a bit money for this gateway, and I am even fine with using BCP, if I have to, but, what is the plan Digium-wise with this interface?

How much will it cost to use this gateway, or will this be charged at all?

I like to have it as an opportunity, to use Skype in my private * Server, but I am not using this as often as I use real VoIP, so I don't like to pay a business price for this channel.

Does anyone have some info about the future plans of this channel?
:? :? :?

If it is made (and priced) for business use only, I will just delete it from my server and do not think about using it at all...
smartbyte
Newsterisk

Postby hartparr » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:06 pm

I am also getting the "An internal error occurred" when trying to create new users on the BCP. Setting up a user via e-mail works, but login from SFA fails. Anyone else having this problem with BCP?
hartparr
Newsterisk

Postby Docteh » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:20 pm

hartparr wrote:I am also getting the "An internal error occurred" when trying to create new users on the BCP. Setting up a user via e-mail works, but login from SFA fails. Anyone else having this problem with BCP?

Talk to skype about it, creating the account that way is currently what skype is requiring for SFA.
Docteh
Newsterisk

Postby kibeki » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:44 am

hartparr wrote:I am also getting the "An internal error occurred" when trying to create new users on the BCP. Setting up a user via e-mail works, but login from SFA fails. Anyone else having this problem with BCP?

I also get this error when trying to add a new user. Skype support does not reply to my inquiry up to now (2 days ago).
kibeki
Newsterisk

Postby kibeki » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:36 am

I created a brand new Skype account and used this new account to login to BCP not my old one.
Now I am able to create new users and use them within SFA.
kibeki
Newsterisk

Return to Skype For Asterisk