Do I need a telephony interface card?

A forum for Skype For Asterisk users to ask questions and get advice from other users

Moderators: twilson, pete engler

Do I need a telephony interface card?

Postby MISS_DUKE » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:05 am

My requirement is to program Asterisk to auto attend the calls to a SkypeIn number, then interact the caller by presenting a phone menu and reading the DTMF input by the caller.

Can I achieve this with a Linux machine, Asterisk & Skype for Asterisk with Internet connection but WITHOUT a telephony interface card?

I do NOT need voice recognition.

I do NOT need to connect a physical phone at all.

Thank you.
MISS_DUKE
Newsterisk

Postby ManChicken » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:08 am

Can I achieve this with a Linux machine, Asterisk & Skype for Asterisk with Internet connection but WITHOUT a telephony interface card?

Yes. In this case the Skype for Asterisk channel driver is your virtual 'telephony card'.
ManChicken
Newsterisk

Re: Do I need a telephony interface card?

Postby MISS_DUKE » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:00 am

Is it possible to verify the caller's telephone number & update a database, using this way? (This is a common use case, to stop malicious users from entering wrong phone numbers in online shopping & dating services)
MISS_DUKE
Newsterisk

Postby Docteh » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:08 am

What do you mean by verify? look at what they enter and decide it looks like a telephone number? Something more complicated?
Docteh
Newsterisk

Postby MISS_DUKE » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:46 am

I am really sorry, I may not have properly explained the usecase in my above post. The actual situation is this:

I have the telephone numbers of my customers in the database (with some other details like address, username & passwrod) & every customer is assigned a unique account number.

Now, I ask my customers to call my Skype-in number from their telephone. My system should attend their call automatically and ask their account number (as a DTMF input), and compare the telephone number (which corresponds to their account number) in the database & and the telephone number (caller ID) of the caller. If both numbers match, the database should be updated accordingly.

The above usecase is something inverse to the technique usually used (in businesses like Paypal) where they call their customers to verify the phone number. (In my case, I ask my customers to call me to avoid the cost of calling!)
MISS_DUKE
Newsterisk

Postby Docteh » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:19 pm

Yea thats doable, you could implement it all in the dialplan or write an AGI.

Note: Paypal does the calling because caller id is spoofable.
Docteh
Newsterisk

Return to Skype For Asterisk