FreePBX setup

A forum for Skype For Asterisk users to ask questions and get advice from other users

Moderators: twilson, pete engler

FreePBX setup

Postby shocks » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:39 am

Hi

I'm very lost at the moment! :( This is my first attempt at Asterisk so I'm trying to grasp the basics as well as get SFA working. I have installed AsteriskNow which has the FreePBX frontend. I'm confused about configuring outbound calls. My inbound are working fine. In the docs it describes how to do this with the Asterisk config files but as I'm using (and wondering if I should be using it) FreePBX, I'm not sure how those instructions translate to the GUI implementation? I understand that I can override FreePBX by editing the 'custom' versions of the config files (extensions_custom.conf). Should I edit the custom files in /etc/asterisk? Or should I use FreePBX? In another thread Terry says you only need a dial plan and no trunk for Skype. However a blog post I found said you have to setup a trunk and routes in FreePBX. Is there inconsistent language here or am I missing something fundamental?

Thanks,
Ben
shocks
Newsterisk

Re: FreePBX setup

Postby oaktree » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:25 am

I don't know if this is what you want to do, but I needed to make Skypeout calls, so I've created a custom Trunk in FreePBX and put the following in "Custom Dial String":

Skype/+$OUTNUM$

Also the Dial rules, have to match your country, like 1+XXXXXXXXX

After creating the trunk, just use it on the Outbound Routes.

It works for me.

Best,

André.
oaktree
Newsterisk

Postby shocks » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:53 am

Thank you for you reply André. When you say 'OUTNUM' do you mean my SkypeOut number or is it literally OUTNUM? And for the dial rules, what would this be for say the UK? To call a number in London I would dial 020 1234 5678 and an international would be 00 (ie 00 1 for USA). What would the corresponding dial rule be? Sorry I basically need a step by step :) I'm a total n00b.

Cheers
Ben
shocks
Newsterisk

Postby shocks » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:32 am

I figured it out. Didn't have to set anything in FreePBX. Added this to my custom_extensions.conf

exten => _0.,1,Dial(Skype/myskypeid@+44${EXTEN:1})
exten => _00.,1,Dial(Skype/myskypeid@+${EXTEN:2})
shocks
Newsterisk

Postby fotofx » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:48 am

I am also a total noob... How would I translate that for the US? I dial 9 and then the number..

Steve
fotofx
Newsterisk

Return to Skype For Asterisk