Skype for Asterisk future?

A forum for Skype For Asterisk users to ask questions and get advice from other users

Moderators: twilson, pete engler

Skype for Asterisk future?

Postby datacompboy » Wed May 08, 2013 1:39 am

Any new information about future of skype for asterisk product?
Will it continue work after july? Any information about recommend product for migration?
we have around 60 channels licenses, and that makes us mad...
datacompboy
Newsterisk

Re: Skype for Asterisk future?

Postby david55 » Wed May 08, 2013 4:07 am

I believe Skype offer a SIP gateway service, although, given that it is Skype that changed the rules here, you might want to avoid them altogether, and use a normal SIP or IAX ITSP.

I don't know whether Skype impose call charges for SIP calls terminating on Skype addresses, rather than PSTN numbers.
david55
Moves Like Spencer

Postby orenyny » Mon May 20, 2013 7:22 pm

We also have many channels of Skype for Asterisk, and I cannot get a straight answer if it is going to work or not.
Honestly I am surprised that this is a possibility.
My understanding of end of support is not that the product will be disabled, but that the tech support will not answer questions about the product.
If you have an old Windows or Office version, it does not have an 'expiration date' when they stop to support it...
orenyny
Newsterisk

Postby eric_rkt » Mon May 20, 2013 8:45 pm

>> My understanding of end of support is not that the product will be disabled,
>> but that the tech support will not answer questions about the product.

They could easily make a small change to the protocol, coincident with bringing out a new version of the client, such that the old clients (Skype and 3rd-party, including Asterisk interface modules) will no longer work.

I took delivery this afternoon of a Freetalk Connect Me module that I connected up to the PBX and it works fine, provides Skype access to the PBX. The Freetalk people swear that they'll always be able to maintain compatibility with Skype. Yeah, right... we'll see.

Anybody got any links that point to websites that say that support for Skype for Asterisk is being terminated? I have read several times that that is the case but can not find any details.
eric_rkt
Newsterisk

Postby navaismo » Mon May 20, 2013 10:12 pm

Product notification:

Skype for Asterisk will not be available for sale or activation after July 26, 2011.

Skype for Asterisk was developed by Digium in cooperation with Skype. It includes proprietary software from Skype that allows Asterisk to join the Skype network as a native client. Skype has decided not to renew the agreement that permits us to package this proprietary software. Therefore Skype for Asterisk sales and activations will cease on July 26, 2011.

This change should not affect any existing users of Skype for Asterisk. Representatives of Skype have assured us that they will continue to support and maintain the Skype for Asterisk software for a period of two years thereafter, as specified in the agreement with Digium. We expect that users of Skype for Asterisk will be able to continue using their Asterisk systems on the Skype network until at least July 26, 2013. Skype may extend this at their discretion.

Skype for Asterisk remains for sale and activation until July 26, 2011. Please complete any purchases and activations before that date.

Thank you for your business.

Digium Product Management

That was the bulletin Received on May 2011. So take your conclusions.
navaismo
Salt of the Asterisk

Postby juanefe » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:35 am

I dont use it much, but I dusted it off and checked it out today and its still working, at least skype to skype.
juanefe
Newsterisk

Postby orenyny » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:55 pm

Hi,

Good to hear that.
BTW: How do you use it for Skype to Skype, and... why?

BR.
orenyny
Newsterisk

Postby andy1 » Sat May 17, 2014 4:45 am

It does not work Skype to Skype... at least not to me.
andy1
Newsterisk

Postby rmertens » Wed May 28, 2014 1:43 am

Hello
Today it works again for me, I'm receiving calls from skype users through my asterisk..
rmertens
Newsterisk

Postby jalmod » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:36 am

It is working for me, but I have audio quality problem when use it remotely (outside local lan).

Any idea how can I solve the chopping sound problem.
jalmod
Newsterisk

Return to Skype For Asterisk