AsteriskNOW GUI update

Get help with installing and running AsteriskNOW.

Moderators: Moderator, Support

AsteriskNOW GUI update

Postby kanour » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:26 pm

Hi.

My question is how to update the GUI to fix the bugs with Firefox 3 and others?

I found that the bug was fixed and resolution points to the following page http://asterisknow.org/install-related. There is nothing about upgrading/updating of GUI in AsteriskNOW. There is just installation. I believe that the guy who wrote this page could think more about different scenarios and give us more details about what to do.

Patching is also explained from a guy who is doing this every day. No full paths to files, no explanations, no scenarios.

Why the updates are not done through the conary which is implemented in asteriskNOW and the update is available through GUI?

I probably just don't understand the logic. Can anyone explain me what I have to do to only upgrade the GUI in AsteriskNOW. I would like to try the new GUI from branch2 if it is possible. (mainly I need to fix the bugs for Firefox3)

To me the page is just useless and does not tell me anything how I can upgrade the GUI of fix the bugs which were fixed.

Anything for AsteriskNOW should always be explained in more details. The user base for this is different then for ordinary Asterisk.
kanour
Newsterisk

Postby promac34 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:00 pm

I agree.

I'm in the same spot. I've inputted the 3 lines/commands and the gui 2.0 appears to have updated although I can't log in now. Much more detail would be great.
promac34
Newsterisk

Postby kanour » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:31 pm

I am to scared to try. I don't want to mess out hours of work which I spent with the current configuration.

I would like to be at least 95% right that what I do is the correct way of doing things.

I can't log in now

Maybe check /etc/asterisk/http.conf.
kanour
Newsterisk

Postby kanour » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:57 pm

I updated it and I have the same problem as you.

When I go to login, it tells me login successful however menus are not coming up. The screen stays on Login page.
kanour
Newsterisk

Postby kanour » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:46 am

Here is the installation procedure for others who are not really experts and need step by step guide.

This guide will update the GUI in AsteriskNOW. If you configured your AsteriskNOW and you find out out that the GUI does not work properly in Firefox3, or you have different issue which were fixed according the bug logs, then this guide is for you.

We have to start with the three steps explained at this page http://asterisknow.org/install-related.

I have done this as root to avoid all issues. To become root,
- login to the box as admin

- change the password for root
# sudo passwd root

- change the password to whatever you want

- change the user to root
# su and type the password
(you should be login as root now.

Download the sources for the GUI
# cd /root
# svn co http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk-gui/branches/2.0 asterisk-gui
(this will create a directory asterisk-gui)

Change the directory
# cd asterisk-gui

Start installation
# sh configure && make && make install

READ THE LINES AFTER THE INSTALLATION

In the README are steps what we have to do to make the GUI available.

Please check:
1) In http.conf:

[general]
enabled = yes
enablestatic = yes

2) In manager.conf

[general]
enabled = yes
webenabled = yes

3) Create an appropriate entry in manager.conf for the administrative user
(PLEASE READ THE security.txt FILE!)

[admin]
secret = thiswouldbeaninsecurepassword
read = system,call,log,verbose,command,agent,config
write = system,call,log,verbose,command,agent,config

Now you should be able to login through web interface.

When you login for the first time you should be able to see how the new GUI starts executing scrips to parse the configuration from the /etc/asterisk/* files.
If this does not start and you are returned back to login page, you have a problem :-). Please follow troubleshoting.

TROUBLESHOOTING (Read this very important)

1) I was able to login, however the menu did not come up and the login page came back.

As I pointed out you should be able to see that the GUI starts to configure itself after first login after installation. Few pop-us, while it has to go through each file in /etc/asteriks directory. If you cannot see this, then this is the actually problem.

I am still not sure what fixed the issue for me as I could not figure this out right at the begining, and I had some time off between. (I could not reproduce it. I would need more time.) Posible solutions:

a) I changed all permission in /etc/asterisk for 777 on all files. Did not seem to help.

b) It seems that when I pointed my broser to IP address of the server it did not worked. When I pointed my browser to DNS address it started to work. Try this first.

c) Between the installation and resolution, I was doing about 30 minutes something else. So, you can possibly try to leave it too. Maybe it needs some time :D

d) I accessed Cisco router over web interface and it requested something about Java script. Cannot remember exactly. So make sure your browser is not blocking things. I would start with unblocking pop-us, etc. Also delete the coockies, cache, etc.

I know these are not stable arguments. But I am trying to help. If I will reproduce the issue I will get back to you with the right solution to the issue. I incline to the fact that Firefox does not wont to run some of the scripts!

Anyway, new GUI seems to be very good and it is worth to install it.
kanour
Newsterisk

Postby kanour » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:42 am

Here we go. It happen to me for second time that I could not login in. This time it was after I came from work, where I have VPN to my home environment.

I tried to access the GUI on IP. I end up with login screen all the time.

So I tried FQDN and no problem.

I think the problem is somewhere there.
kanour
Newsterisk

Postby promac34 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:39 am

I was finally able to login to the new GUI last night after logging in with FireFox 3. I was using Safari to configure the old Gui, because Firefox 3 wasn't working.

After I typed in the 3 commands posted in other posts and the installation appeared to complete without errors, I was receiving the Successful Login messages although it wouldn't log me in, while using Safari. After monkeying around with trying to get into the http.conf and manager.conf and not changing anything, I finally tried Firefox 3 and I could immediately see the scripts running and it then allowed me in to the new Gui. Yes the new GUI is great and worth the install.

Hope this helps.
promac34
Newsterisk

*Now New GUI have alot of bugs

Postby kanratana » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:37 pm

hello all

have any one experience after you update the New *Now GUI under the option menu when you want to change the default prefered extension number to [81000] instead of [6000] and when you click on SAVE button it nothing change,

could anyone tell me how could we fix this?

thanks
kanratana
Newsterisk

Postby bkruse » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:45 pm

kanour wrote:Here is the installation procedure for others who are not really experts and need step by step guide.

This guide will update the GUI in AsteriskNOW. If you configured your AsteriskNOW and you find out out that the GUI does not work properly in Firefox3, or you have different issue which were fixed according the bug logs, then this guide is for you.

We have to start with the three steps explained at this page http://asterisknow.org/install-related.

I have done this as root to avoid all issues. To become root,
- login to the box as admin

- change the password for root
# sudo passwd root

- change the password to whatever you want

- change the user to root
# su and type the password
(you should be login as root now.

Download the sources for the GUI
# cd /root
# svn co http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk-gui/branches/2.0 asterisk-gui
(this will create a directory asterisk-gui)

Change the directory
# cd asterisk-gui

Start installation
# sh configure && make && make install

READ THE LINES AFTER THE INSTALLATION

In the README are steps what we have to do to make the GUI available.

Please check:
1) In http.conf:

[general]
enabled = yes
enablestatic = yes

2) In manager.conf

[general]
enabled = yes
webenabled = yes

3) Create an appropriate entry in manager.conf for the administrative user
(PLEASE READ THE security.txt FILE!)

[admin]
secret = thiswouldbeaninsecurepassword
read = system,call,log,verbose,command,agent,config
write = system,call,log,verbose,command,agent,config

When you login for the first time you should be able to see how the new GUI starts executing scrips to parse the configuration from the /etc/asterisk/* files.
If this does not start and you are returned back to login page, you have a problem :-). Please follow troubleshoting.

1) I was able to login, however the menu did not come up and the login page came back.

As I pointed out you should be able to see that the GUI starts to configure itself after first login after installation. Few pop-us, while it has to go through each file in /etc/asteriks directory. If you cannot see this, then this is the actually problem.

I am still not sure what fixed the issue for me as I could not figure this out right at the begining, and I had some time off between. (I could not reproduce it. I would need more time.) Posible solutions:

a) I changed all permission in /etc/asterisk for 777 on all files. Did not seem to help.

b) It seems that when I pointed my broser to IP address of the server it did not worked. When I pointed my browser to DNS address it started to work. Try this first.

c) Between the installation and resolution, I was doing about 30 minutes something else. So, you can possibly try to leave it too. Maybe it needs some time :D

d) I accessed Cisco router over web interface and it requested something about Java script. Cannot remember exactly. So make sure your browser is not blocking things. I would start with unblocking pop-us, etc. Also delete the coockies, cache, etc.

I know these are not stable arguments. But I am trying to help. If I will reproduce the issue I will get back to you with the right solution to the issue. I incline to the fact that Firefox does not wont to run some of the scripts!

Anyway, new GUI seems to be very good and it is worth to install it.

Great Tutorial, stickied!
bkruse
Site Admin

Great!

Postby kingkai » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:41 pm

Yeah, thanks to this great tut I will be able to use the GUI with my cellphone 8)

The solution with the non-working login was (for me) that I logged in with the FQDN and set this one up in my local hosts file before, as I am not in the network where this FQDN really exists... uhm know what I mean?
I additionally filled the *s hosts file with an entry with the FQDN and the current IP, but this did not make it possible to log in with the IP only. Strange thing...

Just my 2 Euro-Cents :lol:
kingkai
Newsterisk

Not working neither in FF3 nor in IE6

Postby kingkai » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:58 pm

Well, "Don't count your chickens before they are hatched."
After the GUI did its setup (pop-ups and so on), I clickend on the upload voiceprompt-section. It does not seem as if anything was happening, so I closed the tab and tried to login again - no way. On the first loading (when hitting return key after entering the adress in the adress-bar) I can see part of the panel on the left side ("Home"-Button only) but no login-screen. I can see a short "AJAX"-like loading-screen. When reloading the page, the login-screen appears and appears again after logging in. Infinite loop.
What could I do now?

Kind regards

Kai
kingkai
Newsterisk

Postby bkruse » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:11 pm

Kingkai: try updating again, there was just an update to that page.

-bk
bkruse
Site Admin

Postby kingkai » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:05 pm

bkruse, do you refer to this page: http://asterisknow.org/install-related ?
I used "make update" and svn'ed the newest version - but issues are still the same.

-kk
kingkai
Newsterisk

Postby bkruse » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:39 pm

Hey Kingkai, make a bug on bugs.digium.com

-bk
bkruse
Site Admin

Postby g4m3c4ck » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:25 pm

kanour wrote:

It happened to me too. As soon as deleted the my cookies it started working again. Deleting cache had no effect.
g4m3c4ck
Newsterisk

Postby leemaisel » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:44 am

Yep, it was a COOKIE Issue. THANK YOU! I was FREAKED.

Delete your cookies, and all is good.
leemaisel
Newsterisk

Postby leemaisel » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:21 am

AH, but here's the crap..... You have to delete the cookies EVERY time you want to login!
leemaisel
Newsterisk

Return to AsteriskNOW Support