Forum Information

Community-based Support for users of Free Fax For Asterisk

Forum Information

Postby malcolmd » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:54 am

Howdy,

This forum, the Free Fax For Asterisk forum, is provided for users to discuss usage questions and report issues related to Digium's Free Fax For Asterisk.

Because Free Fax For Asterisk is provided to users at no charge, Digium does not provide commercial support to those users or for Free Fax For Asterisk.

Users looking for Digium-backed support may be interested in Digium's paid Fax For Asterisk product.

We hope that you enjoy Free Fax For Asterisk and find it useful.

Cheers.
malcolmd
Moves Like Spencer

Postby raja » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:40 am

Hello Malcolm,

here its the out put for res_fax.so

account4*CLI> module load res_fax.so
[Apr 9 18:16:35] WARNING[6429]: loader.c:359 load_dynamic_module: Error loading module 'res_fax.so': /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/res_fax.so: undefined symbol: __ sync_fetch_and_add_4
[Apr 9 18:16:35] WARNING[6429]: loader.c:359 load_dynamic_module: Error loading module 'res_fax.so': /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/res_fax.so: undefined symbol: __ sync_fetch_and_add_4
[Apr 9 18:16:35] WARNING[6429]: loader.c:653 load_resource: Module 'res_fax.so' could not be loaded.
[Apr 9 18:16:35] WARNING[6429]: loader.c:653 load_resource: Module 'res_fax.so' could not be loaded.

and here it is for res_fax_digium.so

account4*CLI> module load res_fax_digium.so
[Apr 9 18:17:56] WARNING[6429]: loader.c:359 load_dynamic_module: Error loading module 'res_fax_digium.so': /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/res_fax_digium.so: undefined symbol: ast_fax_state_to_str
[Apr 9 18:17:56] WARNING[6429]: loader.c:359 load_dynamic_module: Error loading module 'res_fax_digium.so': /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/res_fax_digium.so: undefined symbol: ast_fax_state_to_str
[Apr 9 18:17:56] WARNING[6429]: loader.c:653 load_resource: Module 'res_fax_digium.so' could not be loaded.
[Apr 9 18:17:56] WARNING[6429]: loader.c:653 load_resource: Module 'res_fax_digium.so' could not be loaded.

Console login was disabled in logger.conf thats why it wasnt showing error before now it should help you to help me

Thank you.
raja
Newsterisk

Postby f6hqz » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:33 pm

Hi men,

Just a quick howto install FAX.

In my case, I am playing with Asterisk 1.6.1, downgrading my previous 1.6.2 which can't have FAX modules for now.

You must synchronise the correct FAX version with your Asterisk version !

After having received your FAX license and registered it with the "register" tool, you must download and execute the "benchfax" to know what is the correct FAX module version for your Asteris kserver environment :

wget http://downloads.digium.com/pub/telepho ... 0.7-x86_32

chmod 500 benchfax-1.0.7-x86_32

./benchfax-1.0.7-x86_32

After few minutes (5 x 14 tests !) you must read the result and know what version you must download.

Mine was "opteron".

Then, download the two necessary modules (change for yours depending Asteirsk version and CPU) :

wget http://downloads.digium.com/pub/telepho ... _32.tar.gz
wget http://downloads.digium.com/pub/telepho ... _32.tar.gz

tar xzvf res_fax-1.6.1_1.0.8-x86_32.tar.gz
tar xzvf res_fax_digium-1.6.1_1.0.8-opteron_32.tar.gz

Then, copy the two modules to the good Asterisk lib repertory :

cp res_fax-1.6.1_1.0.8-x86_32/res_fax.so /usr/lib/asterisk/modules
cp res_fax_digium-1.6.1_1.0.8-opteron_32/res_fax_digium.so /usr/lib/asterisk/modules

Restart Asterisk and you can check if ok by entering any command starting by "FAX" from the Asterisl CLI :

asterisk*CLI> fax show version
Fax For Asterisk Components:
Applications: 1.6.1_1.0.8
Digium Fax T.38 Driver: 1.6.1_1.0.8 (optimized for opteron_32)
Digium Fax G.711 Driver: 1.6.1_1.0.8 (optimized for opteron_32)

That's all !
Thank you Digium guys !

Best Regards,
Francois BERGERET
France
f6hqz
Newsterisk

Postby malcolmd » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:15 am

raja:

Okay, cool.

You must have downloaded the tarballs within the first few hours they were available. We had a build error with them that we corrected. We did not rev the version number of the tarballs though.

Please download res_fax and res_fax_digium again from the Digium downloads server. We've seen your specific problem before, exactly, and we've fixed it with the new tarballs.

Cheers.
malcolmd
Moves Like Spencer

Postby malcolmd » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:16 am

Hi Francois,

Thanks for posting your steps. :)

Cheers.
malcolmd
Moves Like Spencer

Postby raja » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:58 am

malcolmd wrote:raja:

Okay, cool.

You must have downloaded the tarballs within the first few hours they were available. We had a build error with them that we corrected. We did not rev the version number of the tarballs though.

Please download res_fax and res_fax_digium again from the Digium downloads server. We've seen your specific problem before, exactly, and we've fixed it with the new tarballs.

Cheers.

Malcolm,

Great Sir! that worked so i downloaded tarballs within first few hours of release and now i removed the old and installed new and its working.

Now another help i need....! hope you dont mind?

Im using AsteriskNow 1.5 which has freepbx as GUI and most things i do is with GUI and not hand edit as im not good at this.....so if you can please show me how to do make a fax working with FreePBX or a dialplan example for sending and receiving fax....!

as on FreePBX there is Fax Detection application is NVFaxdetect would that word with Digium Fax Application after successful tests we will go for commercial one and will continue using free version for testing purposes.

please provide step by step guide. cant thank you enough Malcolm am i complete newbie for Linux and Telephony world.
raja
Newsterisk

Postby raja » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:03 am

f6hqz wrote:Hi men,

Just a quick howto install FAX.

In my case, I am playing with Asterisk 1.6.1, downgrading my previous 1.6.2 which can't have FAX modules for now.

You must synchronise the correct FAX version with your Asterisk version !

Hey f6hqz,

Thank you very much for your guide i actually followed that but the problem was with source tarballs which is solved.

now if you can really guide me through a step by step guide for making it work with AsteriskNow 1.5 and FreePBX as GUI, also some pointers on how to do windows PC to Fax (send/receive). that would be a great help.
raja
Newsterisk

undefined symbol: ast_fax_state_to_str

Postby mykhyggz » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:43 pm

Error loading module 'res_fax_digium.so': /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/res_fax_digium.so: undefined symbol: ast_fax_state_to_str

Just d/l the tarballs again, still same problem. Any new suggestion to troubleshoot? This forum post is the only place this string exists according to google.

res_fax-1.6.0_1.0.8-x86_32.tar.gz
res_fax_digium-1.6.0_1.0.8-athlon_xp_32.tar.gz

i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

Test run 1 for flavor 'i686' used 649 milliseconds of CPU time.
Test run 2 for flavor 'i686' used 682 milliseconds of CPU time.
Test run 3 for flavor 'i686' used 667 milliseconds of CPU time.
Test run 4 for flavor 'i686' used 660 milliseconds of CPU time.
Test run 5 for flavor 'i686' used 650 milliseconds of CPU time.
Test run 1 for flavor 'pentium3m' used 694 milliseconds of CPU time.
Test run 2 for flavor 'pentium3m' used 689 milliseconds of CPU time.
Test run 3 for flavor 'pentium3m' used 687 milliseconds of CPU time.
Test run 4 for flavor 'pentium3m' used 665 milliseconds of CPU time.
Test run 5 for flavor 'pentium3m' used 692 milliseconds of CPU time.
Flavor 'pentium-m' failed, skipping.'pentium-m'...
Segmentation faultad run for flavor 'pentium4m'...
mykhyggz
Newsterisk

Postby malcolmd » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:51 pm

Howdy,

Does res_fax.so load correctly?
malcolmd
Moves Like Spencer

It does work though...

Postby mykhyggz » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:08 pm

Of course, I just posted some error on the module load.

However, it appears to work... just haven't gotten fax detection working, so as to share this with incoming voice calls...

Since I'm replying to myself, maybe I'll report back if that works as well.

Basically, I just upped the rx value and the fax worked. Even with hpec apparently still active. Hmm. Maybe it'll work to detect the fax tones now and do the exten => fax stuff, too!
mykhyggz
Newsterisk

but nvfaxdetect isn't ported to asterisk 1.6

Postby mykhyggz » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:19 pm

So, I guess without nvfaxdetect, I can't do what I'd intended. I'll wait until http://www.spinics.net/lists/asterisk/msg88489.html Justin Newman does the promised porting.

No matter. I can just tweak the dialplan if I'm actually intending to receive a fax. Point is, it works.
mykhyggz
Newsterisk

So the fax detection does work too.

Postby mykhyggz » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:31 pm

My bad, the problem was a typo in my extensions.conf. All good.

And as for the other error, I quote: "The FAXSTATUSSTRING channel variable is not used by the Open Source Asterisk trunk app_fax module."... which seems a *lot* like it's related to:

Error loading module 'res_fax_digium.so': /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/res_fax_digium.so: undefined symbol: ast_fax_state_to_str ...

Anyway, I can't get it working again ;-),

Channel 'DAHDI/1-1' fax session '1' started
-- Channel 'DAHDI/1-1' fax session '1', [ 000.007134 ], >>>>>> (to stack) completed sending ' 0' frames ( 0 ms) of 'energy ', now sending 'energy '.
-- Channel 'DAHDI/1-1' fax session '1', [ 000.206442 ], <<<<<< (to chan) completed sending ' 0' frames ( 0 ms) of 'energy ', now sending 'energy '.

From what I see in the monitor, this is why the other machine never starts sending...?? Failed to feed the smoother'
mykhyggz
Newsterisk

Return to Fax For Asterisk