How to set up the connection between skype and asterisk

A forum for Skype For Asterisk users to ask questions and get advice from other users

Moderators: twilson, pete engler

How to set up the connection between skype and asterisk

Postby albert.tsai » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:49 pm

My asterisk is 1.4.25.1.
I had install skypeforasterisk successfully .
I also register a new BCP account from skype.
I want to make a call from a existing asterisk's account to the BCP account.
But i have no idea what to do.
Can anybody tell me the following steps?
ex:
1.modify the conf file (like extensions.conf or chan_skype.conf)?
2.what value should i modify?

sincerely regards!
albert.tsai
Newsterisk

Postby hartparr » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:04 am

did you load the sample chan_skype.conf file?

If not, run "make samples" from your download directory.

This creates a sample conf file where you can follow the examples and tell it what account to log into skype with.

After that, you can confirm from the asterisk console by running "skype show users" to verify your newly created account is logged in.
hartparr
Newsterisk

Postby albert.tsai » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:19 pm

I have red the setting from chan_skype.conf.
Following is my setting
[base_user](!)
context=skype_incoming
disallow=all
allow=ulaw

[albert.tsai](base_user)
secret=********

When i type "skype login user albert.tsai" then type "skype show users" i can see albert.tsai's status is [Logged In].

After that i have no idea what to do to call BCP skype account from asterisk sip account.
albert.tsai
Newsterisk

Postby albert.tsai » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:16 am

following is the debug message from asterisk when i use asterisk sip account(3000) to dial skype account(albert.tsai.tw1)

I have no idea how to figure it out.
Thanks for your help.

RT-Server*CLI>
-- Executing [1000@ttn:1] Dial("SIP/3000-08aff428", "Skype/albert.tsai.tw1") in new stack
[Aug 6 14:11:07] ERROR[28465]: chan_skype.c:882 request: No default user has been specified, so dialing over Skype must include a 'from' username
[Aug 6 14:11:07] WARNING[28465]: app_dial.c:1272 dial_exec_full: Unable to create channel of type 'Skype' (cause 0 - Unknown)
== Everyone is busy/congested at this time (1:0/0/1)
-- Executing [1000@ttn:2] Hangup("SIP/3000-08aff428", "") in new stack
== Spawn extension (ttn, 1000, 2) exited non-zero on 'SIP/3000-08aff428'
albert.tsai
Newsterisk

Postby hartparr » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:56 am

I think you need to do some more research to find out what this thing really does. You seem to be thinking about it backwards.

Asterisk is using your newly created skype account to call out to other skype users and the world, not an account you can call from any SIP phone.

At this point, I would refer you back to the Digium e-mail you received with your lic.

* Participants must be knowledgeable Asterisk and Skype and be nearly self sufficient during the beta trial.
* Digium or Skype Technical Support will not be provided
hartparr
Newsterisk

Postby twilson » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:37 pm

Everything you need to know to set up your dialplan and config file should be in the sample config file and the README that is include in the distribution.
twilson
Oldsterisk

Re: How to set up the connection between skype and asterisk

Postby nick0360 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:29 pm

I can log into Skype from Asterisk and sometimes my status in the Skype client for Windows shows available. I can initiate a call from the Skype client for Windows and it will ring my Snom 190 SIP phone on Asterisk. I can dial out to the PSTN from Asterisk using Skype.

The problem I have been having is that my status in the Skype client for Windows (when logged in as a different user) doens't always show available when I am logged in through Skype for Asterisk. When I get logged in, I stay logged in until I log out or shut down Asterisk. I can't figure out what I am doing to get my status to show available again.

Has anyone observed this behavior?
nick0360
Newsterisk

Re: How to set up the connection between skype and asterisk

Postby ManChicken » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:22 pm

I have similar issues but I don't know that it has anything to do with SFA; Sometimes if I start the Skype client the statuses update instantly, but other times neither of us see each other, sometimes for as long as 10-15 minutes. A few times I think it's never come online until I attempt to make a call.

While doing all this I've had debug turned on in SFA, and never see any communication come from the Skype network. If on the Skype client I make a call to SFA while it's showing offline, the call will delay for several seconds - like 5-10.. and then suddenly I'll get some activity on the console from SFA, it shows online, and then the call goes through.

Just now, I started Skype and both sides showed each other online almost immediately. 10 minutes later I quit Skype, but SFA never got the status message until about 2 minutes later.

I have to think it has something to do with the decentralized nature of Skype and sometimes things just get lost or you get a network path that is not as solid as other times.
ManChicken
Newsterisk

Return to Skype For Asterisk