SSH Access

A forum for Switchvox SMB and Switchvox SOHO users to ask questions and get advice from other users

Moderators: dpodolsky, bmdhacks, tristand, joshuas, jwitt

SSH Access

Postby Matt Trask » Sun May 01, 2011 7:29 pm

OK, so how do I get the default SSH password? Yes, I know this (AA60, Switchvox 4.6) is supposed to be an "appliance" and I'm depriving some poor reseller of their additional income if I do this myself, but an appliance that can't accept an additional ethernet card is not a very good appliance. Or am i just a typical stupid user who can't figure out how to configure eth1 using the GUI?
Matt Trask
Newsterisk

Re: SSH Access

Postby malcolmd » Mon May 02, 2011 7:38 am

There is no default SSH password; console access isn't part of the package.

The installation of additional ethernet interface cards is not supported, either.

If you've got questions or concerns, contact our Support team. You can open a case online https://www.digium.com/en/users/support_choose_product.php or call us at +1 256 428 6000.

Cheers.
Malcolm Davenport
Digium, Inc. | Senior Product Manager
malcolmd
Moves Like Spencer

Postby Matt Trask » Mon May 02, 2011 11:34 am

So Malcolm, I appreciate that it makes a device much easier to support if you close the system and hide the keys. But stating that "there is no default SSH password" seems to just be incorrect. When I go to the admin menu on the attached VGA and "Enable Tech Support Access", a funny thing happens - when I run Putty on port 22 I no longer get the rejection message that no SSHD is running. Instead, it asks me for a login and password, just like any decent SSHD would. Now I may be less intelligent than real Oldsterisks are, but it seems to me that Tech Support would need to have that SSH password in order to log in and do their thing.

And it seems to me that life would be a lot simpler if someone at your place would just tell me what the default pswd is. It's save me a lot of time that I would otherwise have to spend booting a Linux CD, then mounting /dev/hd0 and hunting around to edit the related files. And it would certainly help with the end-user's experience as they are already tired of waiting for me to install that Asterisk thing.

And as for the assertion that installation of additional ethernet cards is not supported, then why does the documentation show eth0 and eth1 in the image of the management console? Do you sell a model with more than one port? So I'd be interested in any insights you can provide as to how I can deploy a reasonably secure phone system if the entire network is exposed directly to the internet because the switch has only one ethernet port.
Matt Trask
Newsterisk

Postby Samael28 » Mon May 02, 2011 11:47 am

I don't think that default password will be provided on this forum. Also, don't forget about SSH keys auth.
Samael28
Newsterisk

Postby Matt Trask » Mon May 02, 2011 12:36 pm

What is SSH Keys Auth?
Matt Trask
Newsterisk

Postby Josh_E » Mon May 02, 2011 10:20 pm

Digium/Switchvox is not going to allow you access to SSH; even in to your own system for a multitude of reasons.
Even Authorized Switchvox Resellers are not given access.

If you are somehow able to access the system via SSH, and support learns of it, they will not assist you until the software has been totally reinstalled and the configuration of your system has been rebuilt from scratch.
Josh_E
Oldsterisk

Postby Samael28 » Tue May 03, 2011 2:00 am

What is SSH Keys Auth?

SSH Authentification, based on pre-shared keys.
Samael28
Newsterisk

Postby Matt Trask » Tue May 03, 2011 5:50 am

So let me see if I understand this - I buy a piece of commercial telecommunications equipment, and it works mostly. But a few things aren't quite right. Like I can't get a secure installation without using NAT to protect the rest of the network because there aren't two network ports in the system. And it seems to be OK with everyone here that I can't go in and fix it? I suppose the next thing that someone will tell me is that I can't add a TDM400 card either?
Matt Trask
Newsterisk

Postby malcolmd » Tue May 03, 2011 7:22 am

Howdy,

The TDM400 went End of Life some time ago and was replaced by the TDM410 series - http://www.digium.com/en/products/analog/tdm410.php. You might be able to add a TDM400 (we don't break people's perfectly good, working systems), but that card isn't under support (no bug fixes specific to the card) or warranty (can't be returned for warranty replacement). In addition, the current and previous-generation Switchvox appliances (60, 65, 300, 305, 350, 355) aren't tested for hardware compatibility against the TDM400, meaning that a TDM400 can't be guaranteed to operate properly; they're tested against the TDM410 instead. So, the only people who should be adding a TDM400 to their system are the old-school Tower-system customers.

The EOL timeline for the TDM400 is outlined here:

http://www.digium.com/en/products/eol.php

Cheers.
Malcolm Davenport
Digium, Inc. | Senior Product Manager
malcolmd
Moves Like Spencer

Postby supanatral » Thu May 05, 2011 8:34 pm

I've sent Matt Trask instructions on resetting the root password.

Please note that this may void your support contact since this may or may not lock Digium out of your unit.
supanatral
Newsterisk

Postby skennedy » Thu May 05, 2011 9:00 pm

If I may, I think the problem is that Matt purchased the wrong product for his needs. A Switchvox appliance is just that; an appliance. It's a turn key solution for small to medium sized businesses that do not need or want the full capabilities that a custom asterisk solution offers, and appreciate the vendor backing a product such as switchvox offers.

It's a good lesson to those of us who are contractors or are otherwise instrumental in making purchasing decisions.
skennedy
Newsterisk

Postby Matt Trask » Fri May 06, 2011 8:06 am

If I may, I think the problem is that Matt Trask bought a product made by a company that fosters a pretty lame model of customer service and product support. Yes, I know this device (AA60) is sold as an appliance. And yes, I know that if I do anything at all other than genuflecting in front of it then Tech Support won't ever talk to me again. And I understand that if I want a phone switch to sell to a retail customer that does not require me to have any technical competence, then this is probably a good one.

But that having been said, in over thirty years as a system programmer, system designer, and user/consumer of technology-based products, I have never before met a company (that is still in business) that denies genesis of its hardware products (like the 3Com AA50) or refuses to accept money for a paid support account on a used product that is still under an existing support agreement but happens to have been sold or acquired by a new owner. A good example of a company that does this right (and prospers!) is Dell.

So then, back to why Matt Trask is capable of making such dumb choices in his telephone technology.

I understand that Digium is a Wholly Good Company because Mark and friends give away their software to anyone that wants a copy. But this doesn't IMO excuse the closely-held embargoing of hardware assistance for legitimate owners of used product. Yes, that's right, I said "used" product. As in the AA50s and AA60 and AA300 that I bought on eBay. Isn't that a silly idea? That a Noobsterisk would actually buy genuine Digium hardware for learning on instead of using some crappy old PC? Which, by the way, I understand is actualy a "supported" platform.

So given that I am not actually trying to obtain support from the paid Tech Support line for an actual commercial installation of the product, where's the harm in discussing the internals and how it actually works? Is someone afraid that maybe I'd discover that emperor has no clothes or something?

And many thanks to the member of this forum that emailed me a reasonable discussion of how to do what I asked.

And back on the topic of selecting turn-key solutions that are supported by "vendor backing", that might have been the outcome of my unconventional learning approach, but probably not if I lose faith in the vendor during the learning process.
Matt Trask
Newsterisk

Postby skennedy » Fri May 06, 2011 8:19 am

Oh, I apologize. I didn't realize that you and your 3 decades of experience only wanted to throw a fit and stomp your feet.

Carry on.
skennedy
Newsterisk

Postby Matt Trask » Fri May 06, 2011 2:49 pm

No, I apologize. I polarize to skennedy and anyone else that I may have offended by my recent comment. I'm just frustrated that I've been unable to get better access to support because of some of the company's policies. I'm having a splendid time learning how to Asterisk, and I've got a number of systems successfully up and running in small businesses in the past year. I very much appreciate the interaction and the information that has been provided by some of the members of this forum.

But I still wish the company was willing to engage in more technical discussions of the so-called "appliance" products as they represent IMO the best commercial opportunity for small businesses, but the idea that I should just ask the customers to live with the limitations (if any) rubs me the wrong way.
Matt Trask
Newsterisk

Postby Matt Trask » Fri May 06, 2011 2:50 pm

Oops, "polarize" -> "apologize". Damn iPad spell checker ...
Matt Trask
Newsterisk

Postby supanatral » Fri May 06, 2011 6:57 pm

Matt Trask wrote:And many thanks to the member of this forum that emailed me a reasonable discussion of how to do what I asked.

Not a problem, you will have to let me know whether you got it to work for you. To be honest, I haven't changed the password on my Switchvox yet (only an NEC phone system :P) however I have done it on some Linux boxes in the past and that's what has worked for me.
supanatral
Newsterisk

Postby atguilmette » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:38 am

I have a customer with a Switchvox appliance running SMB v 4.0. They experienced a power outage last night and the system shut down. This has happened before, and the system has recovered. This time around, though, it goes through the auto FSCK and fails at about 18%. It tells me it needs to be run manually, but then auto-reboots.

I was able to bypass the reboot portion and the system has been brought up, but obviously, the filesystem is still marked dirty. The customer is outside of their support agreement and isn't sure if they want to upgrade to a newer unit or not. To date, we've had pretty poor technical support (most recent case--we purchased two out-of-maintenance extensions a few days ago back and they wouldn't activate; tech support wouldn't help us unless we paid approximately $1,500 to come back under maintenance) and we had to troubleshoot it ourselves.

Any help/ideas/thoughts?
atguilmette
Newsterisk

Postby lorsungcu » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:01 am

Occasionally you will call into support, and no one will ask about a reg code; they will simply troubleshoot the issue. If you are unable to do this, either license the software/support properly or remove the hardware and install a free asterisk machine. AsteriskNOW is great, and will work on almost all intel hardware with no issues; PCI cards should be picked up automatically. Once yuou have this up, pull the drive from the switchvox, extract VM, MOH, and whatever else is custom, and move it to the new (redundant, backed up) machine.
lorsungcu
Oldsterisk

Return to Switchvox SMB and SOHO