Latest AsteriskNow distro (5.211.65-14)

General discussions about AsteriskNOW.

Moderators: Moderator, Support

Latest AsteriskNow distro (5.211.65-14)

Postby michelpy » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:48 pm

Hi there,

I am not too thrilled about the latest AsteriskNow distro (5.211.65-14). A lot has been customized including the repositories, a simple yum update right after install would not work.

I much prefer the 3.01 distro which is a vanilla one. I'm glad I saved the .iso, although it appears it's still out there:
http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/telep ... risk/misc/
michelpy
Newsterisk

Re: Latest AsteriskNow distro (5.211.65-14)

Postby reconwireless » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:44 pm

Sorry for the late response on this, The changes in the repositories reflects the closer relationship with the FreePBX Project.

Two of the key components of AsteriskNOW are the CentOS Linux distribution and the open source FreePBX GUI, which is maintained by Schmooze. In the wake of RedHat's purchase of CentOS and its assertion of the CentOS trademark, Schmooze did a lot of work to build our own Linux distribution, free from those trademarks. While we were doing this work, we approached Digium about maintaining the Linux distribution for AsteriskNOW. Digium, rather than trying to perform a similar effort in building a new Linux distribution, decided that it was in the best interest of AsteriskNOW to accept our offer. The additional benefit of building AsteriskNOW on the Schmooze Linux distribution is that we also now have an opportunity to bring in more of Schmooze's modules for FreePBX, which enable users of Digium products to more seamlessly use them with AsteriskNOW. We're very excited about this partnership and think it's a win for users.
reconwireless
Newsterisk

Re: Latest AsteriskNow distro (5.211.65-14)

Postby alfadhli » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:59 pm

Why take the effort of removing the trademaks and make a new Linux Disto such as Schmooze Linux distribution, or even Digium Distro, while there is a rubust Disto like CenOS is available.

Isn't good that each project community concentrate on it's goals.
Centos still Free and open source, and can be used in AsteriskNow without legal issue, isn't it?
The CentOS Project is a community-driven free software effort focused around the goal of providing a rich base platform for open source communities to build upon.

I believe the AsteriskNow days are now counted, and I will go back to the Asterisk souce installation using CentOS.

How can I convence customers that Schmooze Linux disto is safe to be in their Data center?!>>

Thanks & Best Regards,
dCAA, Thanks to this community.
alfadhli
Newsterisk

Return to AsteriskNOW General