Call Routing Question

A forum for Switchvox SMB and Switchvox SOHO users to ask questions and get advice from other users

Moderators: bmdhacks, dpodolsky, tristand, jwitt, joshuas

Call Routing Question

Postby BDWright » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:28 pm

We are setting up a new Switchvox appliance and I have a question regarding incoming call routing. The way the powers who be want it setup is, a call comes in to a DID, it first gets routed to the users extension, if after 3-4 rings they do not pick up, the call is transferred to a secondary extension. If the call is not picked up for 3-4 rings at the secondary extension, the call needs to be transferred to yet another extension. If after 3-4 rings the call is not picked up at the third extension, the call should be forwarded directly to the original users voicemail.

The way I have this setup currently is by utilizing a Call Queue extension type, the Ringing Strategy is set to ring "In Order", I setup the Call Queue Members as permanent and added the necessary extensions to the list. In order to get it to go to the original extensions voicemail, I configured the setting for if the call passes through the ringing strategy 1 time without being answered, it gets transferred to the original extension being called which then rings several times according to that extensions call rules before it goes to VM.

Ideally what I would like to happen is, when the call is transferred back to the original extension, I don't want it to ring the extension, I want it to go directly to the users voicemail. I tried to setup a feature code extension and forward to the feature code + users extension, but since it isn't a valid extension number, it doesn't work.

Is there any way through a Call Queue extension I can get a call to be forwarded directly to a users VM box?

Cheers

Brian
BDWright
Newsterisk

Postby dpodolsky » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:47 pm

From the call queue, send it to an IVR that has one action "Send to Voicemail". Just enter the voicemail of the extension you want it to go to and it won't ring the phone but go directly to vm.
dpodolsky
Oldsterisk

Postby BDWright » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:53 pm

dpodolsky wrote:From the call queue, send it to an IVR that has one action "Send to Voicemail". Just enter the voicemail of the extension you want it to go to and it won't ring the phone but go directly to vm.

Thanks for the fast reply! I will look into the IVR method. Would I have to create a unique and separate IVR for each mailbox that I need to transfer to? As it is, I need a unique Call Queue extension for each DID since the guy in charge wants this functionality for each and every DID we have.

Cheers

Brian
BDWright
Newsterisk

Postby dpodolsky » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:20 pm

Couple of ways to do this:

The simple multiple IVR way :
--Create a unique IVR for each mailbox.

The single IVR way :
1. Create an IVR that does this has these actions.
---Set Variable : Save your INCOMING_DID into a variable (call it did)
---Multiple Conditional Clause : If did = "4570100" then goto new IVR sub menu
2. Then you create multiple sub menus for Conditional clause goto that has one action ( goto voicemail box)

The fancy single IVR way :
(This only works if you have a deterministic conversion from DID to extension. Example : 457-0101 = 101, 457-0102 = 102, etc)

1. Create an IVR that does this has these actions.
----Set Variable : Save your INCOMING_DID into a variable (call it did)
----Perform Math : Subtract your base number for your DID from your full DID, which produces the extension, and save this value in a variable (call it ext2call).
Example:
If my did = 4570101
did - 4570000 = 101

Example:
If my did = 4570207
did - 4570000 = 207
----Send to Voicemail : In the send to voicemail don't use a static extension, but use your "ext2call" variable.

The 3rd way might be too complicated, but could save you making multiple IVRs or sub IVRs. Let me know if you think I forgot something.
Last edited by dpodolsky on Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dpodolsky
Oldsterisk

Postby BDWright » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:24 pm

Actually your third way sounds like the best way to do it. Our extensions are based off the last 4 digits of the DIDs for those that have DIDs. More complex to setup, but less management each time a DID or extension is changed or added.

Thanks!

Cheers

Brian
BDWright
Newsterisk

Return to Switchvox SMB and SOHO